cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC top salaries

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

BBC top salaries

Today the BBC (Blair Broadcast Corporation) has been forced to publish the annual salaries of its top paid  "stars".  According to Tony Hall the Director General of the BBC this is bad news for the licence payers because it will have an inflationary effect. How about saying "No" to the people who demand more?  There's plenty of people in the wings who'll do a better job for a lot less.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
103 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero

Re: BBC top salaries

@AlaricAdair

"There's plenty of people in the wings who'll do a better job for a lot less"

Never been comfortable with that argument, but in this case I'll make an exception. Maybe if they (sorry, we) did not pay them so much they would not be 'stars'. 

A man is worthy of his hire, these guys are obviously worthy of the high opinion they have of themselves.... or not. As for the BBC director-general Tony Hall, do you know how much we are obliged pay him?

Here you go

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Is the published figure just the salary or does it include all the extras?  Like footballers, TV 'stars' usually get massive add-ons, though perhaps not as ridiculous as Hollywood stars: Jim Carrey demanded a chef to prepare food for his pet iguana (http://www.eonline.com/news/34768/jim-carrey-s-iguana-gets-personal-chef)

alanf
Aspiring Pro

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Interesting to see the EastEnders stars; when the show first appeared in 1985 the actors were reported to earn £400/week.

DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

for the BBC director-general Tony Hall, do you know how much we are obliged pay him?

Here you go

Just over half what C4 pays its executive, and about 1/8th of what ITV pays Adam Crozier....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Chris Evans worth 2.2M a year, I think not. Crazy2

Fixes: 47

He took Top Gear to a new high.

Oh sorry, I've got that upside down.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

To be honest, apart from stoking up jealousy, I can't see the reason for this at all. Is it likely to make one jot of difference to what the BBC pays its staff?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Champnet
Rising Star

Compared to the Business Superstars these salaries are peanuts....

Minivanman
Hero

It's been suggested that nobody should earn more than ten times the lowest wage but even if Evans was paid ten times the national average of £27k that would still put him way behind that couple of million.

Disgraceful, obscene, and unnecessary.

To the barricade comrades!  Knuppel

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro

Unless we ever know completely what each of them does, and the actual make up of the pay packets, I have doubts on the worth of the data. Take Fiona Bruce, for example. Does the figure cover just news reading, or also Antiques Road Show and/ or Fake or Fortune? For the single job our opinion on the salary may, if we are so minded, be critical, but if all in, I'd hope less so.

@petlew @Champnet I agree with your thoughts

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

@Champnet

"Compared to the Business Superstars these salaries are peanuts...."

So that's OK then?

Champnet
Rising Star

Compared to the Football Superstars these salaries are peanuts....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

But they are paid through funds generated by ticket sales etc.

BBC pays its staff through a captive revenue stream.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!