cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC to put 3D programming on hold

Fixes: 125

BBC to put 3D programming on hold

BBC 3D programming 'on hold' indefinitely
The BBC is to suspend 3D programming for an indefinite period due to a "lack of public appetite" for the technology.

Kim Shillinglaw, the BBC's head of 3D, said it has "not taken off" with audiences who find it "quite hassly".

I think that's a good step. I'd rather money went into good programming content rather than gimmicks. Can't ever see me choosing to watch in 3D either at the cinema or at home.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

19 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: BBC to put 3D programming on hold

Wimbledon finals are going to be broadcast in 3D, and the semis were broadcast live in 3D
Fixes: 105

well they're suspending stereoscopic broadcast.. it's not real 3D Wink
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I wonder how much money has been wasted on this?
The required equipment can't have been cheap.
Community Veteran

As itsme said they have been pushing 3D during Wimbledon this year. I wonder how many 3D TVs were sold Undecided
Are there any other 3D broadcasts?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Does anybody on this forum have or have regular access to a 3D TV, so perhaps they could comment what its actually like to live with.
I have tried it briefly with store promotions but as a spectacle wearer, it was almost unusable for me, something that the developers seem to have ignored, certainly in any advertising I've seen for 3D TV I've yet to see anybody wearing glasses under the 3D specs needed for viewing.
Other than that, I wasn't very impressed with what I did see anyway. The technology has been invented so now the development costs have to be recouped from a gullible public whether its any good or not.
I lean towards putting it in the same category as high-end HDD TV and high fidelity sound (as opposed to Hi-Fi) the users of which spend more time twiddling and fine tuning every nuance of perfection completely missing the content of the programme they're watching or listening to. I have an eldest son who does exactly that to the irritation of his family who troop to another room to watch or listen while he fiddles. He is seriously looking at purchasing 3D TV for much the same reasons, to the horror of his family. I've told him, he really should get out more.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shalom2010
Grafter

Does Sky 3D still broadcast?
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

BBC 3D programming 'on hold' indefinitely.
The BBC has broadcast coverage of the Wimbledon Championships in 3D, but will drop the format when the trial run ends.
The BBC's head of 3D, Kim Shillinglaw, says there are no further plans for the format after a trial period draws to a close.
The BBC's 50th anniversary of Doctor Who will still be broadcast in 3D, as well as the already-commissioned series Hidden Kingdom, but the format will then take a rest.

Shillinglaw will concentrate on her main role as head of science and natural history.
"After that, we will see what happens when the recession ends and there may be more take-up of sets, but I think the BBC will be having a wait and see.
It's the right time for a good old pause. I am not sure our job is to call the whole 3D race," she said.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jul/05/bbc-drop-3d-trial?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&...

The BBC is to suspend 3D programming for an indefinite period due to a "lack of public appetite" for the technology.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23195479

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10162571/BBC-abandons-3D-TV.html

Personally, I think the development of UHDTV, 4K & 8K will be a more significant technological event in the near future.
With material initially being available over the Internet, requiring a higher bandwidth than current HDTV, though new compression techniques are being worked on for Broadcast use.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Petlew
...... I have an eldest son who does exactly that to the irritation of his family ............................................................ He is seriously looking at purchasing 3D TV for much the same reasons, to the horror of his family.
I've told him, he really should get out more.

To the local cinema..... and watch it on the BIG screen !  Cheesy
Fixes: 47

My grandson has a 3D capable TV in his bedroom. He has played a little 3D gaming on it but quickly went back to 2D.
He's not impressed and wasn't interested in any 3D TV transmissions.
Until 'proper' 3D is developed I don't really think it will attract the kind of attention that was anticipated.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We tried 3D at the cinema once. Never again. Both of us came out with painful eyes.
I don't see what the fuss is about to be honest, it's just flat images  that look like they're in front or behind each other. They don't actually look like proper 3D objects so it all seems a bit pointless.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
David_W
Rising Star

I've watched a couple of things in 3D on the BBC (I wear normal specs too and have no issue with them), the dinosaur one and the Mr Stink film.  The dinosaur one was pretty good and it does look a bit different, you can also play some games on PS3/Xbox in 3D.  I watched them with my mother and the reaction from her was different to mine so I'm unsure if what she was viewing was different to what I was viewing (might be that my eyes/brain wasn't fully processing the images or my prescription was too old)
For my PC I use NVidia 3D Vision which, depending on the game, can look awesome.  FFXIV was a beautiful game but when you turned on 3D you could feel like you could reach out and grab falling leaves, the implementation was so good, but now the specs are gathering dust, still, a 120Hz monitor isn't all that bad!
The next thing in 3D is Occulus Rift (spelling is probably off).  That's basically 2 LCD screens, one per eye, in a headset which can track and monitor your movement, so you turn your head left and the in game camera pans left, stuff like that, true 3D?  The issue with that is until you get used to it you can suffer from motion sickness and a general feeling of being unwell so you're limited to 10 minute blasts until you're used to it but probably isn't very good for long term play - at least until they sort the sickness out (probably should skip V1 as the specs are a bit low).
TV makers are moving away from 3D too, the demand just wasn't there, I think part of the problem is that people had only just upgraded to HDTV, after spending hundreds on a new HDTV people would be naturally loath to spend hundreds more on a 3D TV for occasional use.  Next up is super HD TV (4K resolution) so after that Super HD TV 3D!
Community Veteran

Even at the cinema the appeal of 3D is falling.  In 2010 3D movies grossed £305M in the cinema but by 2012 this had dropped to £213M. I think part of this fall is due to the higher admission charge and the cost of buying the special glasses.
3D falling
beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Watched a bit of the Wimbledon in 3D. Liked the lower viewpoint and overall effect, but quite a strain on the eyes; not sure if that is from wearing the goggles over my own glasses. You have to sit directly in front of the screen though - the TV came with 4 sets of goggles, we would have to sit on top of each other if more than 1 wanted to watch
Fixes: 125

Quote from: beeceegee
we would have to sit on top of each other if more than 1 wanted to watch

So, finally found a plus side to getting a 3D TV for SWMBO and me Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still