Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC to deploy detection vans to snoop on internet users

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

BBC to deploy detection vans to snoop on internet users

The BBC is to spy on internet users in their homes by deploying a new generation of Wi-Fi detection vans to identify those illicitly watching its programmes online.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/05/bbc-to-deploy-detection-vans-to-snoop-on-internet-users/

What a load of rubbish, it's all a big con, just like the old TV Detector Vans were !!

All they did was compare their database to see if you had a TV license, then assumed you had a TV !!

And by carefully worded statements implied you were "being naughty" !

And even if it were true, what about the many who do not connect via wi-fi, ie by cable.

Apart from anything else, there would be huge Privacy issues.

And there is this...

http://tv-licensing.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/withdrawing-implied-rights-of-access.html

33 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: BBC to deploy detection vans to snoop on internet users

There has been a black 1934 Citroën Traction Avant parked in the road just down from my house for about three days now. Should I be worried?

Cool smiley 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

The Registers take on the Telegraph's article

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/06/bbc_detector_van_wi_fi_iplayer/

Community Veteran

They are probably just trying to find if there are any people who actually bother to watch BBC TV programmes. Their current offerings are either dire or decades old repeats.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
idonno
Grafter

Too true, apart from news and weather I very rarely view 'live' BBC. I tend to watch streaming TV from around the world, far more entertaining.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

They can scan my wifi all they like, the will not find any streaming on it. And if I catch them I will sue them for trying to break my encryption Cool
I only use it on my phone for email.

But yes, again just smoke and mirrors. Auntie knows best.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Easy way to deal with any TV taxmen on your property, stick a camera in their face, don't give your name, and tell them while recording "Your implied right of access to this property is hereby revoked, if you do not leave immediately, the police will be called to have you forcibly removed", though usually the camera makes them run away like the big brave men they are, plenty of examples of it on youtube... Smiley

As for spying on wifi networks, good luck, 256bit encryption's kind of hard to break without using illegal and "won't stand up in a court of law" methods... Funny

And speaking of stuff holding up in court, even them just peering through your window or poking a stethoscope on your door to see if you have a TV is not admissible evidence, it's all based around threats and guilt, kind of sad that they're still using intimidation techniques in a so-called civilised society...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

The whole thing is stupid beyond belief, I think it's being done for those teetering on the fence of will I or won't I and who do not know any better regarding what the 'detectors' can and cannot do. I for one have no issue with paying for my TV license, not just because I watch live TV, but to help pay the wages of those I'm watching, the money has to come from somewhere and I don't ever want to see the day that the BBC carries adverts.

Minivanman
Hero

Paying the licence is one thing and for the right reason, but paying it in order to fund the salaries of the likes of Chris Evans, Gary Lineker and Claudia Winkleman who are among the top 10 highest earning 'stars' working for the BBC many of whom rake in pay-packets of over £500K really gets up my nose. 

I dislike adverts as much as the next man, but I also dislike not only those huge salaries, but those ever increasing repeats and those ever increasing evenings where an entire channel is given over to one subject for the evening such as pop music of the 70s or 80s. 

Roll on 75 when I can view for nothing, won't be long now! Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
nadger
Rising Star

I've had TV licence for over 50 years and will continue to have one Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I can understand the "pay your way" thing, but, when you're paying for TV execs (whom we never see onscreen) to have a six-figure pay packet for just sitting there saying what can and can't be broadcast, there's a big question mark over the value-for-money aspect...

But to be honest, broadcast TV these days for me is pretty much dead, most of it is repeats, or period dramas, or imitation motoring shows that can't live up to their predecessors' name, it's gotten tedious, and 2.5 months on from unplugging my aerial to my TV, I haven't felt the need to plug it back in, the most my TV is doing now is internet streaming, watching my IP Camera or playing computer games on my PC...

Minivanman
Hero

Same here, or it would be - which is why I am having so many issues with plusnet over my appallingly slow broadband. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I totally agree with @Minivanman and @twocvbloke regarding the over payment of some of these alleged stars. I would like to see a nominal appearance fee paid to allow the money saved to provide new programming. Also looking at the TV listings is quite depressing these days, with nothing but repeats, with nothing but repeats, but could it not be argued that because of Joe Public not paying their fee this is what has to be done as there is no money left over to make new programs, a hint of a catch 22 here maybe.

Minivanman
Hero

Those were the days! Smiley