cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC to Charge for iPlayer

Community Veteran

BBC to Charge for iPlayer

The BBC is considering charging viewers who watch their programmes on iPlayer.
For those missing their daily dose of Daily Mail links:
iPlayer Charge
As a licence payer I think this is a good idea. Programmes cost money to make and why should they be free to people using iPlayer.
51 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: BBC to Charge for iPlayer

Provided that people with a BBC TV licence do not have to pay for iPlayer I'd agree.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Their suggestion is that access to iPlayer if by a code to verify payment. I assume the licence will provide the code. Undecided
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I can mostly get everything and more from other sources. I use IPlayer just for F1, so why should I need a licence to not watch BBC.  Even then F1 is nearly always hours after the live event that they put on so call Live air and even later[sometimes next day] they dean to put it on IPlayer.  Then I have to avoid all radio and papers for the weekend and Monday after it.
BBC is a dinosaur and if they don't catchup, will go extinct.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
Pluscom beat you to it.

Oh dear! That will get him pressing the report to mod button Wink
Community Veteran

The first rule about the report to mod button, is we don't talk about the report to mod button.
The second rule about the report to mod button is to be sure to giggle when using it frivolously.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: artmo
Pluscom beat you to it.

Why oh Why..
Do you spoil our apparent uneasy truce with such a puerile comment ?
Your constant vindictiveness does you no favours.
Although admittedly less often as late.
Personally I avoid your threads, as you appear to avoid mine, but was alerted to your comment in a PM from another member.
I have no need to report the Dupe thread, I think you will find OldJim is very good at spotting dupes, and hopefully if and when he merges, or deletes your dupe thread, he will mention the same, either in a PM to you, or publicly.
GeordieMark
Grafter

Stupid idea, will just push people towards using torrents / usenet to download their shows instead
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Pluscom beat you to it.

Well I don't see one of your usual insults so i don't see why he would need to - or why you would make such a suggestion.
As for the iplayer, I don't see why we should pay again to watch programs on iplayer that we've already paid for with our licence. Charging non licence players seems fair but not people who already have a licence.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro

Thanks.
Quote from: 7up
Pluscom beat you to it.

Well I don't see one of your usual insults so i don't see why he would need to - or why you would make such a suggestion.

Thanks
I shall be away for a while, and the recent negativity ...
We're off to WDW Sunday, two weeks at AKL, two weeks at one of our properties there.
Our favourite Airline to fly there... Virgin Atlantic.
And back...
But of course, occasionally browsing the Forums here.

Community Veteran

Quote from: Gus
I can mostly get everything and more from other sources. I use IPlayer just for F1, so why should I need a licence to not watch BBC.  Even then F1 is nearly always hours after the live event that they put on so call Live air and even later[sometimes next day] they dean to put it on IPlayer.  Then I have to avoid all radio and papers for the weekend and Monday after it.
BBC is a dinosaur and if they don't catchup, will go extinct.

If they plan to charge using a code, licence payers will have to have a code. What is to stop them passing the code on to friends so they can also access iPlayer?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You have to remember that the BBC needs every penny it can get to pay the wages of some of it's employees or some of the self employed employees  Wink
TORPC
Grafter

More likely to cover all the legal costs to try to implement, then for the Share / Stake / holders et al
Or Vice versa
Community Veteran

so this is targeted at 16-24 year olds who presumably have a low hit rate of paying the licence fee, how about closing the loophole for the much wealthier pension age group as well?
if the bbc want to modernise they should also put old shows on iplayer going decades back instead of a miserable 1-2 weeks.