Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC tells ISPs to get stuffed

Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Re: BBC tells ISPs to get stuffed

sub-titles........................... which I find useful in "action" movie

Bang! Bang! you`re dead pierre  Grin  Grin  Grin  count to 100 and then you can join in again ! !  Roll eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

OK I count quick 
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Why do people stream BBC content?
Even off-peak, you get an inferior picture, with artefacts present (full-screen).
It's much easier to do a download and play it back 5-10 minutes later - and you get a much better picture.
However, either picture is inferior to broadcast quality or even VHS quality, so it's probably a temporary fad.

Because downloading is only possible if you use XP or Vista. Not everybody is behoven to M$!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont like iPlayer, but I think that you can now use Mac and possibly Linux, but not sure
dgdclynx
Grafter

I use iPlayer continually to get BBC4 programmes otherwise unavailable to me. And I do prefer watching them in the morning. I download.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

If you cant get BBC4, what are you going to do when the cut off Analogue?, you can now get a freeview tuner for less than £20 Cool
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Quote from: pierre_pierre
... you can now get a freeview tuner for less than £20 Cool

Plus the cost of the new extra-expensive aerial, which is almost certainly needed.
Unlike analogue, digital doesn't degrade gracefully in weak signal conditions.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

True, my self installed antenna cost more than the tuner  Crazy
dgdclynx
Grafter

Re Analogue. When they replace the current Analogue booster station by Digital in 2010 I expect to get Freeview, although it may be a cutdown version. I am not keen on getting a satellite dish.
Not applicable

Quote from: axisofevil
Plus the cost of the new extra-expensive aerial, which is almost certainly needed.

Hence why I am a Sky customer: A years subs to Sky costs less than the cost of an aerial upgrade in these parts plus two freeview boxes.
After y1, I can have satellite freeview ongoing...
Also, cost of y1 subs is only marginally more than the setup/installation of sky freeview.
dgdclynx
Grafter

I had to get an engineer to repair my aerial a couple of months ago and he said our local aerials wouldnt need upgrading for Digital when it came.
Not applicable

Which is fine if you have an aerial - if you don't however, you are more than a little stuck!
Dunno why I included the word 'upgrade', since we don't have an aerial at all! The housebuilders decided not to bother, since they need to be on poles more than 8' above the roofline to get a signal. Sad
Most folks have satellite or cable where I live.
James
Grafter

Yup, my parents had to pay about £400 to get Freeview to work.
They can't get Sky because of the trees overlooking their front driveway.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

iPlayer has its uses but is no substitute for a PVR. Many programmes are not made available on iPlayer, downloaded programmes can only be retained for a month (or 7 days after you start viewing them), and it quickly eats up my download allowance unless scheduled for after midnight. I do use it occasionally though when I fail to record a programme that I am interested in. For example I tried twice to record Click but each time something else was transmitted instead so I watched it on iPlayer instead.
Quote from: pierre_pierre
I dont like iPlayer, but I think that you can now use Mac and possibly Linux, but not sure

It is now possible to stream programmes on MAC and Linux but not to download them. The BBC relies on Microsoft software to ensure that downloaded files are not retained longer than rights allow.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Denzil
Why do people stream BBC content?
Even off-peak, you get an inferior picture, with artefacts present (full-screen).
It's much easier to do a download and play it back 5-10 minutes later - and you get a much better picture.

As the picture quality is inferior the amount of information streamed is less than that downloaded and therefore uses less of ones allowance. Also, more importantly, downloading programmes requires the installation of Kontiki P2P software. So, unless one is very careful, one can find oneself paying to upload programmes for other viewers as well as for downloading for oneself.