Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC tells ISPs to get stuffed

Njal
Grafter

BBC tells ISPs to get stuffed

"The Register" reports:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/03/bbc_highfield_isp_threat/
"Relationships between the BBC and internet industry have plunged to an all-time low, after the BBC's internet chief Ashley Highfield used a blog post yesterday to tell ISPs to get stuffed - and even threatened to name and shame them."
Regards,
Neil
46 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: BBC tells ISPs to get stuffed

(from the above mentioned link)
Highfield's heavy-handed intervention may undo much of the conciliatory work undertaken by iPlayer boss Anthony Rose. As we reported recently, the BBC is exploring building its own Content Delivery Network (CDN) to ease the delivery costs for ISPs.

This is very worrying....... why should I, (and everyone else) have to pay for the BBC to build its own CDN?  BBC complain they do not have enough money every year, yet continue to "improve" the services to "keep up with" or be "better than", the other providers.... I do not use the BBC iPlayer, have no interest in it, don`t want to use it, never will.... can`t see any point in it... We have an old fashioned vhs tv recorder, that we do not use, we have a dvd recorder for the same purpose and do not use... so cannot see what this "improved" service of a CDN will do for me,  e x c e p t  .... put up my licence fee.
The Television licence fee, is in effect a "stealth tax" that is imposed on every household with tv receiving equipment.  it is similar to Vehichle Excise Licence (road tax)  only a small proportion ( 8% for road tax) is actually used for the purpose to which is supposed to be collected for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

This is from the linked report
13. Subscribers should (and will) increasingly look for genuinely unlimited deals from their ISPs, and for ISPs that do not throttle bandwidth at peak hours, which can have the effect of causing streaming playback to not work correctly.

Who the heck is going to pay for this - what a stupid statement
Neil_A
Grafter

Worth adding your thoughts to Ashley Highfield's blog?...
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Why do people stream BBC content?
Even off-peak, you get an inferior picture, with artefacts present (full-screen).
It's much easier to do a download and play it back 5-10 minutes later - and you get a much better picture.
However, either picture is inferior to broadcast quality or even VHS quality, so it's probably a temporary fad.

N/A

I too have no intention of using the iPlayer.  However, am I missing something here?  I have a VHS/DVD recorder and I take a quick glance down the Teletext listings and record the programmes that I want to see (which are very few I might add as most of them are of no interest to me).  Is there a difference?
Surely it is better to utilize this than waste bandwidth?  Why would anyone want to crank up their usage when they can just record the programmes? Seems much more expedient to me.
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
Is there a difference?

Well, yes there obviously is. You can go and look at a program (for whatever reason that makes it of interest) after it's been broadcast without having had to decide in advance to record it.
Fixes: 47

I have Media Centre which I use to record anything I will miss because I'm out and wish to see.
It does not use any bandwidth because it records off my TV card in much better quality than iPlayer.
I did once download and watch a concert from iPlayer but the quality was, as previously stated, quite poor.

Quote from: HPsauce
You can go and look at a program (for whatever reason that makes it of interest) after it's been broadcast without having had to decide in advance to record it.

I believe there is a time limit on the availability of the download and the life of the item once downloaded.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Well yes, I have a Freeview tuner in my PC and can record programs - also handy for putting on CD/DVD in mpeg format if you want to (is that legal?). We also have (believe it or not!) a grand total of 3 Freeview PVR's in the house. But still there are programs that we miss that we'd like to watch. Lazyness, forgetfulness whatever, the Beeb have hit a potentially quite large demand here.  Cheesy
PS Yes there's a limit on iPlayer, typically a week I think.
Community Veteran

the Beeb have hit a potentially quite large demand here.

So long as it`s not a quite large demand on my pocket...... those that use it should pay for it, and any development on CDN to provide it.  It`s about time the BBC took a leaf out of the isp`s and phone companies books..... it`s called "Pay as you go"...  Wink
jmd
Grafter

I won't bother with the bbc player................... like others I can record and watch when I want but since I forget what I have recorded I have lots of things to watch on my PVR when I have nothing else to do............................................ Smiley
Community Veteran

Don`t suppose much of it is in Black and white format though ! ! Cheesy Grin
jmd
Grafter

well PVRs were not in existence when black and white was available.......................... Crazy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Oh Yeh    Cheesy Grin Smiley Cool Shocked
FILM: The Devil and Miss Jones
On: Channel 4   
Date: Friday 4th April 2008
Time: 01:35 to 03:10
m'
Oscar-nominated Charles Coburn plays John P Merrick, the world's richest man, who is annoyed to hear workers at one of his stores are trying to form a union. Getting a menial job, he's determined to root out the troublemakers, led by Joe O'Brien, but soon finds their grievances are genuine through the eponymous Miss Jones, Merrick's co-worker and O'Brien's girlfriend.
(Black and White, Premiere, Subtitles, Signed, 1941, U, 4 Star)
Director: Sam Wood
Starring: Jean Arthur, Robert Cummings, Charles Coburn, Edmund Gwenn, Spring Byington, S.Z. Sakall
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
jmd
Grafter

well, I do not record black and white anyway as usually they do not have sub-titles........................... which I find useful in "action" movies Roll eyes Wink Grin Roll eyes Crazy