cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC iPlayer - programme withdrawn

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

BBC iPlayer - programme withdrawn

I decided to watch the latest episode of Top Gear again (specially Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise) and started Iplayer - it said 4 days left but then changed to Programme Withdrawn
Has anyone seen this before
24 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: BBC iPlayer - programme withdrawn

Was this streaming or downloading, Jim? It's streaming OK here.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

I assume Jim's talking about a download as he mentions ‘starting’ iPlayer (which implies use of the actual software application).
To answer the question, I haven't seen that, although I've seen other slightly unusual behaviour such as trying to download something only to find a message in the software saying it'll be available in a few days' time, despite the fact it can be streamed immediately from the iPlayer website.
Community Veteran

I can play it streamed and I just downloaded it (675MB in 2.5 mins  Cheesy) and it plays fine on the desktop player.
I know they can't repeat it on TV any more due to the Ayrton Senna F1 piece but that does not appear to stop it being available on iPlayer.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I once successfully downloaded a programme but it wouldn't let me watch it until a few days later.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

There are huge cutbacks in the number (and quality) of programmes supplied.
e.g "Top Gear" is categorised as "factual"....

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

To clarify - I had already downloaded it and watched it once.
It was the second time a couple of days later when it was suddenly withdrawn
@Peter Vaughan - 36Mbps  Shocked
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

I had a similar thing happen to me.
I had downloaded this exact same program one morning, but did not watch it at all.
The next morning when I started the iPlayer, to download the previous days programmes, I got the pop-up saying that Top Gear is no longer available (or something like that) and it had been deleted.
At that point I went to the iPlayer website, downloaded the same program again, which it seemed to complete OK.
I can't tell you if the download plays yet as I have not had the time to watch it.
MrT
Grafter

I think I heard that it was withdrawn because of a 'performing rights' issue.
Community Veteran

Maybe they "edited" it a bit due to complaints and the later download is the "clean" version whereas the earlier one has had it's digital rights withdrawn.
Community Veteran

Grr, just been inconvenienced by iPlayer acting oddly today coincidentally enough. A few days ago I downloaded Sherlock, with an expiry date of some time in August, and I began watching it last night. However, there was no time to watch the whole 90 minutes, so I paused it halfway through expecting to finish it off today. But today I return to iPlayer Desktop to find it's apparently ‘expired’. Angry Erm no, one is supposed to get 7 days to watch a programme once one has started… so now I've got to either download the whole thing again (90-minute HD programme = big file) or try streaming the HD version over a connection that's slightly too slow to actually stream it successfully.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Use get_iplayer and things never expire.
No DRM either.

Community Veteran

Quote from: A

Except get_iplayer itself  Wink
http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer-dropped-in-response-to-bbcs-lack-of-support-for-open-source
Community Veteran

Yes yes A Fox Is Evil, we know you like get_iplayer. The legality of it is questionable however so I'm not sure you should be so insistent on recommending it to everyone here.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: HPsauce

Except get_iplayer itself  Wink
http://linuxcentre.net/get_iplayer-dropped-in-response-to-bbcs-lack-of-support-for-open-source

Not even that  Cheesy
It's been forked.
See http://www.smallsoftware.co.uk/site/get_iplayer-2.78/ (and a few other locations). Cool