cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC iPlayer - full launch news

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BBC iPlayer - full launch news

I've just seen an article giving a date for the planned full launch of the iPlayer here
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
10 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Re: BBC iPlayer - full launch news

Lol... very funny.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Thanks you reminded me that i had forgot that i lost my login details and forgot to remember to get them again.
oh well..  Wink
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Is this news?
Dear Jeremy
Thank you for your e-mail regarding the possibility of downloading programmes from BBC iPlayer via your Linux browser.
Unfortunately, we do not provide download support for this platform at present, as the BBC's policy is to start with the platform that reaches the most number of people and then roll out services from there.
I can confirm that you can now stream from BBC iPlayer using Mac OS and Linux and we aim to offer download support for Mac OS and Linux at a future date.
If you still wish to download programmes from the service, you may want to use either the Windows Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox browser.
Thank you once again for contacting BBC iPlayer.
Regards
Micky
BBC iPlayer

I thought the BBC were trying to evade their responsibilities.
The bit about "you may want to use either the Windows Internet Explorer..." was obviously a joke.

liam1412
Grafter

So basically because you decide not to opt for the multinational company to provide your OS, you don't get the same privelages of someone who pays exactly the same licence fees as you Huh?Huh
The mind really does boggle.
LiamM
Grafter

I understand though. 
It makes sense for them to focus their attentions on the platform that the vast majority of people use first.  The technology isn't as easily (if at all?) available for Linux / Mac OS (in terms of DRM / Knotiki P2P etc...) but the Beeb have said they do plan to support those platforms later on in the year.  I personally wouldn't have seen the fact Macs and Linux PCs aren't supported yet as a reason to delay the launch.  And I say that as a Mac owner.
clockley
Grafter

The last time I checked (it might have changed by now), the iPlayer was also not compatible with Vista.
**Chuckles**
LiamM
Grafter

Seems to work okay here.  I think it does work fine with Vista now, but it didn't when it was in Beta.  Or at least, they claimed it didn't.  But Bob (and I) got it working without a problem back in the summer and Bob blogged some instruction here :-
http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/08/02/how-to-install-the-bbc-iplayer-on-windows-vista/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

seems it now works with Vista linky
LiamM
Grafter

Community Veteran

Indeed... I only have an iPod touch, but I do subscribe to The Cloud's WiFi service for when I'm commuting through London, and watching a bit of TV could be quite a nice way of whiling away the time before a train departs. Of course, once the 3G iPhone is released that app (or whatever it's going to be) will become even more useful for those with the new iPhones...