Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC hospital reporting

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

BBC hospital reporting

In the news tonight the BBC reported from a london hospital. The reporter and probably all his crew were in full PPE kit. I thought that there was supposed to be a shortage of such kit. Why was it been wasted on BBC employees instead of the medical staff who need it!!!!AngryAngry

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BBC hospital reporting

@TTman 

You raise an interesting issue. I watched that report from inside the ICU at University College Hospital and found it very powerful and upsetting, and it was horrifying to see the effects of this on the incredibly hardworking staff. I guess it really brought home just how very serious the situation is.

Personally, I can’t help feeling that if that report results in a couple of hundred or maybe even thousands of people taking the current lockdown more seriously, then it may save many more lives. If that is the case, then in my opinion the use of that PPE to make the report will have been worthwhile.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I expect there are many in the country who hardly ever watch the news or any news like programs.

So if they can do a "reality show" clip it's probably the only way to get the seriousness of the situation across to them. And if they can show a few soap stars in their hospital beds jobs done.

Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 1

@Anonymous I also thought it was an interesting issue,  which is why I raised it. Hopefully people will have watched it and it will have the effect on the people as you describe. Unfortunately I dont think that many people who ignore the isolating will watch the news!Sad. But i agree with your inputSmiley

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I found this link on Sky News to be quite powerful. If anyone needed a visual representation of what is happening, these could be them.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

It was a very powerful and moving piece of TV. The reporter was interviewed by the BBC News anchor after it was shown for the first time. The question of PPE was raised and he said the BBC funded their own equipment.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@artmo wrote:

The question of PPE was raised and he said the BBC funded their own equipment.

If PPE is generally in short supply (as has been suggested in some quarters) and the BBC having some meant a hospital was unable to obtain as much as they needed, I guess it might be an issue whether they funded it themselves or not. 

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 9

The licence payer, many of whom don't watch the BBC, funded it.