Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC announce 5 more HD channels

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

BBC announce 5 more HD channels

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbchdchannels.html
The BBC today announced it will launch five new subscription-free BBC HD channels. The new channels - BBC News HD, BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD - will launch by early 2014 and will be offered to all digital television platforms that carry HD channels.
25 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: BBC announce 5 more HD channelss

So the repeats will be much better quality then  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

I should have added - won't affect me as I am too mean to buy an HD STB
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ditto, Jim  Cheesy
kdoug007
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I should have added - won't affect me as I am too mean to buy an HD STB

hope  ya  tellie  has  a  scart  socket  ,, ieie
Community Veteran

why - Scart doesn't support HD
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Ofcom
Independent regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries.

HD Freeview receivers

Viewers will need a HD-compatible DTT receiver in order to access the new services.
About 20% of households already have such a device to watch existing HD channels on the platform.
Arqiva has indicated that the new channels will be broadcast to up to 70% of the UK population – above the minimum requirement of 50%.
Protecting the future of DTT
Ofcom is allowing the DTT platform to use this capacity for HD services on an interim basis until at least 2018.
http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2013/07/16/new-hd-channels-on-terrestrial-tv/

randpwar
Grafter

Each to his / her own of course but a HD recorder is not very expensive and does offer a much better product ie far higher picture quality. I just can’t bring myself to give that nice Murdoch family any of my money so we have a Phillips HDt8520 Freeview recorder which is superb and cost about £180 - £200. Worth it for the better quality.
Thanks for the head’s up about the new HD channels
Infinity
Pro

Ofcom has earmarked up to 30 transmitter sites that could carry an extra 10 Freeview HD channels. The regulator has published a map of the transmitter sites, plus details of the frequencies (UHF channels) that the extra services would use:
http://www.a516digital.com/2013/02/where-are-extra-freeview-hd-channels.html

Infinity
Pro

Quote from: randpwar
Each to his / her own of course but a HD recorder is not very expensive and does offer a much better product ie far higher picture quality. I just can’t bring myself to give that nice Murdoch family any of my money so we have a Phillips HDt8520 Freeview recorder which is superb and cost about £180 - £200. Worth it for the better quality.
Thanks for the head’s up about the new HD channels

My latest Freeview HD Recorder ( via USB Flash Drive) cost just £30 ish
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: BBC announce 5 more HD channels

Maybe they have more space as 3D has been abandoned Smiley
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

As my brother said to me recently, having HD on large modern day Plasma/LCD Tv's brings the picture quality up to where it was a few years go with the old CRT sets. I think he makes a good point really, although I'm sure HD is better, I was always amazed how much people were willing to sacrifice good picture quality for thinner sets when they were first launched.
The more HD channels the better so glad to see 5 new ones coming from the beeb, it's about time ITV2 and Channel 5 caught up though.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
Ofcom has earmarked up to 30 transmitter sites that could carry an extra 10 Freeview HD channels. The regulator has published a map of the transmitter sites, plus details of the frequencies (UHF channels) that the extra services would use:
http://www.a516digital.com/2013/02/where-are-extra-freeview-hd-channels.html

If I understand this correctly, only the Main TV Transmitters will be Broadcasting the newly announced HD Channels, not the Freeview "Lite" areas, served by a local transmitter.
Maybe a few will be so available, at least they should remove some of the less popular SD ones to enable this.

Community Veteran

Never mind the extra HD channels. Early afternoon I was getting bouts of no signal whatsoever.
Maybe a reliable freeview should come first.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Although they say "no reported problems" their latest news is:-
Reception Problems Caused by High Pressure Weather Conditions
Due to the current high pressure and good weather, some viewers and listeners in particular areas might experience short term interference to television and radio services. This is being caused by interfering signals from distant transmitters travelling abnormally far (including stations from Europe) and will only be temporary.

On "old fashioned" analogue you might have lost a station in bad weather but not the lot.
Infinity
Pro

13 new HD channels to launch on Freeview in 2014
Five new BBC HD channels including BBC Three and BBC Four, plus eight others, could launch in HD on Freeview next year.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10181990/13-new-HD-channels-to-launch-on-Freeview-in-2014...