Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Technical Problems

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BBC Technical Problems

Hi All
It looks like the BBC is having technical problems go to the home page and you get:
Due to technical problems, we are displaying a simplified version of the BBC Homepage. We are working to restore normal service.
Visit BBC News or you can try the other links below.

Go to BBC iPlayer
https://twitter.com/bbciPlayer
Some users are still unable to access @BBC #iPlayer on web or app. We're working to get this fixed ASAP. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Huh Yep I am one of them unable to access BBC iPlayer
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: BBC Technical Problems

Been like this for 2 days now Sad
Fixes: 104

all back for me...
Will Moderate For Thanks
76nil
Grafter

Have been trying to listen to BBC via I player but just keep getting 'no episodes available'.  Even for 'In Our Time' which has archive of hundreds of past episodes.  May be if the BBC stopped their so called improvements to all their web sites they would all work better.  Every time they 'improve' it takes twice as long to find anything.  Just wish there was an alternative radio service.  Sorry rant over.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Nope it's not you, it's them... > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28400908

"Internal logs of the incident and how it was handled showed that database administrators, network engineers and system analysts were all called on to see if they could diagnose the problem and fix it.... Work continued throughout the weekend to try to stabilise the servers and database supporting the iPlayer and many other BBC services. "

They may issue a statement when it's not broken so much.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Thunderclap
Grafter

I see they're saying

"This suggests the [BBC] problem could have been down to a DDoS (distributed denial-of-service) attack."

Excess load can also be due to people pressing F5 when they're frustrated! Like PLUSNET today. Big news stories and sporting events will 'top load' the servers at media companies. I've also come across apps that carry on hitting the target web server with requests after the last Http request timed out - or even before. And given how flakey the iPlayer app on Android and IOS seems to be...
It could be an external DDoS or be just a single line of PHP or MySQL code trying to handle a NULL ? Or the lightning. Press F5 now.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Huh