Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC TV Show - Hugh's War on Waste

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BBC TV Show - Hugh's War on Waste

Hi All
Just washed this, it is food for thought.

Hugh's War on Waste
A third of food in the UK never gets eaten, yet 13 million people in this country are struggling to afford to eat. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall is on a mission to find out why we waste so much food.
Find out more

Plus see:

The UK’s Supermarkets are wasting millions of tonnes of food
I’m Trying to do something about IT…
But I need your Help!
15,985 People Have signed up so far
Join them here
Read More here
19 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro

Re: BBC TV Show - Hugh's War on Waste

I had a change.org email about stop the rot a day or two ago, pretty much they want to stop the food waste from the stores and they want to stop the waste the from the supply chain (packaging /processing plants) and the farmers that end up ploughing their produce back into the ground when the supermarket rejects it and they cant even give the stuff away.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
nadger
Rising Star

We only buy parsnips a couple of times a year to chop up and roast.
Whether they are deformed, or not, doesn't really matter.
Makes one wonder how much extra we are paying because supermarkets want pretty looking displays.
nanotm
Pro

yeah I never understand why farmers would sign such stupid contracts, by all means supply the supermarket with first pass but flog the rest to the likes of campbles or the market shops or even given away to the food banks or soup kitchens, nobody cares what the fruit /veg looked like before it went into a tin/jar/packet, and personally I always loved the misshaped stuff because it gave you something to laugh at or otherwise discuss ..... bleedin "market analysis"  apparently claims "the consumers don't want that" who did they ask  a bunch of 1950's prudes Huh the rude looking stuff was always the best !
beeceegee
Rising Star

Quote from: nadger
We only buy parsnips a couple of times a year to chop up and roast.

I do wish they would stop using parsnips as an example. Horrible things; as far as I am concerned they should junk the lot (along with celery and beetroot)
nanotm
Pro

they use them because of the huge scale of waste, your liking the product or not is immaterial, and they could use any number of other things but most of the farmers refused to take part in the show because doing so would put them in breach of the contracts (like the strawberry farmer some years ago who sparked controversy in the year hartleys were forced to suspend operations for several weeks due to lack of produce yet he had 500 tonnes of strawberries sitting rotting because they supermarket machine had rejected them.....
Community Veteran

I remember having a brief look in a supermarket bin a few years back.
A big bin against a wall, not fenced or locked, in a public car park.
While I was looking a police car (remember them) came into the car park and headed straight towards me.
Apparently I was breaking some law and was required to hand over my address to what ended up a suitably embarrassed officer.
So supermarket waste gets police protection that the public can only dream of.
nadger
Rising Star

There seemed to be no doubt that Morrisons had applied pressure to the parsnip farmer not to give any more filmed interviews.
Fixes: 47

I was talking about this program with my daughter this afternoon.
I haven't seen it yet but she told me that her and her young son found it upsetting that a farmer went out of business because of this.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
nanotm
Pro

the whole storyline is absolutely scandalous, years ago farmers would of been free to tell the companies to take a hike but as soon as some business guru's bought a farm and started making deals like that and swallowing up smaller farms around them that went broke everyone else had to agree to them and now there's a complete mess, with individuals being under torturous contracts with huge penalty clauses and very little to help them get on in the world, even more so for those who weren't in a position to get in on the act early or are still trying to get a supplier seal with one of the companies that will then repackage and sell on the produce.
the waste of food is really relatively minor compared to some of the problems going on in the industry, which is a large part of why the uk imports so much food and leaves thousands of tonnes in fields to rot and make the land useless for a few years as well as the other pollutants it gives off not to mention the stench
as someone that grew up on a farm I find the whole notion disturbing, what we need as a nation is more people doing this stuff not less /
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Tesco Stretford store under fire for 'throwing away £4,000 of new bikes' rather than giving them to charity
An agency delivery driver noticed the skip full of cycles, including children’s bikes and BMXs, at the Tesco Extra in Stretford

A Tesco store has been caught out scrapping ‘£4,000 worth’ of unsold bikes rather than giving them to away to charity.
An agency delivery driver noticed the skip full of cycles, including children’s bikes and BMXs, at the Tesco Extra in Stretford .
He said there were at least 24 bikes - with some still in their boxes at the store on Chester Road .
The worker said: “I was making a delivery and I saw a skip full of bikes. It was diabolical, it’s disgusting. They’re all brand new bikes, some of them still in the boxes. There’s nothing wrong with them.
“There are people out there struggling to make ends meet and Tesco are getting away with throwing these bikes away.
Read More here
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

"every little helps", in that every little thing tesco do these days makes them look worse by the minute... Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Tesco should get some stick over throwing those bikes away, there are a lot of children who cannot afford bikes and could have been given as Christmas presents.
nanotm
Pro

you just know the answer will be they were damaged stock and it was cheaper to toss them in a skip than get sued for a faulty bike.....
and i cant say i blame them, in the current culture even the kids in the children's homes with no presents would sue for a faulty bike donated as a charitable gift/
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I was in the local te$co earlier today and was at the point where they clear the shelves of fresh produce, just grabbing fruit, veg, baked products, ad all that and throwing it all in bin bags, so damned tempting to walk up to the one of the workers doing it and saying "Every little helps eh?", such a waste...