cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Recipe's

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BBC Recipe's

The BBC are to axe the online recipe service which provides recipes for some cooking programs shown on tv.

Personally I do not watch any programs of that type but I am sure a lot of people do and it seems silly to me to discontinue something that many people find useful.

12 REPLIES
MattyC
Champion
Fixes: 46

Re: BBC Recipe's

The British Library have covered our backs on this one.

Roll eyes

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Community Veteran

Whilst that is correct my understanding of the situation is that all past recipes will be kept but any future recipes will not.

I guess most recipes are a slight variation to something that has been done before but new recipes or ways of preparing a dish do occur.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

"The corporation said it would move as much as possible of the content currently on its BBC Food website over to the BBC Good Food site, which is owned by commercial arm BBC Worldwide."  So instead of costing the BBC this raises money by advertising. So why didn't it do this before?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/bbc-worldwide

www.bbcgoodfood.com

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

should the licence fee get used to provide recipes online?
it seems that the BBC has very much lost its way in what it should actually be doing and what to spend the money one.

just because the BBC can have an online presence providing all sorts of things doesn't mean that it should.
CX
Grafter

How does it cost less to put a recipe online and take it off after 30 days, compared to putting it on and leaving it on?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The BBC has been using license fee money for years to out compete commercial rivals. It's our money and they use it duplicating services provided free (paid for by advertising) by their competitors. Consider if it is a quality service that's because it's subsidised with our money. 

The BBC should pull its neck in an get back to providing it's primary functions Angry

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
SpendLessTime
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 53

Wow , just how wrong can people be.

The BBC website is a great example of how TV/radio is supposed to work. You create programs and support them with all the vital information on the website. It is called enhanced value and is necessary. 

Tried following a recipe on a TV program ? It is hard, plus if it's recorded, you have to pause /rewind and that device isn't normally in the kitchen. Waht a pain!

Most people use books or in the 21st Century, a phone or tablet. Hence the very real need for the BBC to have the recipes from their programs available online. So much easy to use in a kitchen.

The websites are the BBC and for most of the population are vital. Just because the other broadcasters cannot for the life of them do it as well, they all bitch in the newspapers and make up lies which the papers publish. If they expended half as much energy to do it properly, then they might have websites worth going to,

It is definitely not a waste of money nor unfair competition.

Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean it's wrong or unfair or anti-competitive. 

Community Veteran

i do get it, but i object to the licence fee being used to fund it.
Community Veteran

I guess a lot of people object to the money the BBC spends on a variety of things such as the high and often secret salary paid to some of it's staff along with other things identified over the years by the press so the money it spends for providing a online service is in my opinion very low on the list of the things I object it spending our money on.

A petition of over 100,000 signatures would suggest there are others who feel this service should not be scrapped.

Sometimes you want a single recipe so it's not worth buying a book or if you are short of cash you cannot afford the book.

If more people are encouraged to cook food at home following a recipe it can only help their health.

Community Veteran

100,000 out of how many licence fee payers?
let's remember the licence fee is mandatory, it's not optional.
IMO the licence fee should be used for core services only. anything extra should be funded privately - thru advertising or subscription.

if one wants a single recipe then there are millions of offerings available online. the BBC need not be one of those sources, especially when it's funded thru public funds.
David_W
Rising Star

There are millions of different sites offering different recipes, some don't actually work.  The BBC made a website of the highest quality, backed up by professional chefs (from their own TV shows), so you know it's going to turn out the right way.

One of the main issues is News International, who own The Sun and The Times, also Sky, with the BBC being major competition to Sky, NI wants to put the boot into the BBC as often as possible to try and get the BBC funding cut heavily, so much so that people start to buy Sky TV.

The BBC News Website, totally free and very high quality and (mostly) impartial, people go to that website for their news instead of Murdochs sites which push his agenda, because they are not going to read The Sun for their news, they are not going to get the news the way he wants us to read it, he wants us to end up with the UK version of the other fine bastion of news in the US, Fox News.  People in the US watch Fox News and get the right wing rubbish which they swallow, in the UK we have the BBC who give real news.

By weakening the BBC's online presence, he hopes that people will go to Sky News or The Sun or other websites, so he is constantly banging on about how the BBC is horrible, terrible, a waste of money, paying everyone 10 billion dollars a day etc. so that people who read The Sun will start to look down on the BBC.

It's a slippery slope, whilst I don't agree that the BBC should be a one stop solution for everything (which they do try to be), I do think if they can offer a high quality service which others cannot (or do not) provide to their quality, let them, there is nothing stopping M&S from launching their own foodie site with top quality recipes and a quick "buy the ingredients" button to give a one stop solution, they just tend not to bother.

CX
Grafter

I don't see the problem with the BBC publishing recipes that were shown in a BBC programme. It's not as if non-TV & Radio content is a new concept to the BBC - Ceefax used to contain recipes as well. I'd draw the line at user-submitted recipes.

And again, the recipes have already been funded, both as part of the programme they were shown on, and when they were added to the site. What possible cost saving comes from removing them after 30 days? If anything, it costs MORE money, and is a waste of money. If you want to save money, just don't put them on the website at all. Or better yet, don't fund cooking shows and let the ignorant element of society carry on scoffing their KFC and McD (probably costs the working population more indirectly anyway).

But it doesn't surprise me, because it reeks of MP luddite-think.