BBC Radio remembers WW1

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

BBC Radio remembers WW1

Even if you don't, BBC Radio remembers WW1
Looks (sounds) Interesting...

The BBC at its Best

The seismic events of 1914-1918 changed everything.
( The War to end All Wars )
As the fighting took hold pitting nation against nation, some of the warring countries, in parallel, were pioneering the technology that would usher in the audio-visual age.
A hundred years on, as broadcasting moves into a digital world, a different technological revolution is at the heart of BBC radio’s marking of the Centenary of World War One.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Radio-remembers-WW1
18 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro

Re: BBC Radio remembers WW1

Poignant photos reveal the reality of life on the Western Front during the First World War... and how troops used a border collie to send a message across No Man's Land
A rare set of original prints has cast light on soldiers' everyday life in the First World War 100 years after fighting began.
The 70 images, taken by press and army photographers on the Western Front, were used as positive propaganda back home - but rarely for war material of the time, most were not posed or staged.
Instead they showed the everyday activities of soldiers in the harsh conditions of the trenches, including servicemen attaching a message to a collie dog which would have been used to deliver messages through No Man's Land.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2679205/War-lens-Poignant-photos-reveal-reality-life-Western...
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

hmm I've seen cinefilm of the Crimean front which iirc predates WWI by a good few decades, and live video broadcasting didn't start until the mid 20's, Technicolor although invented in 1916 wasn't widely used until the mid 30's, wireless had been widely broadcast for many years before the war, although I'm sure there newly created pieces will be of great interest and benefit to many I do hope they manage to do so in a historically accurate way (already there posters are from WWII originals not WWI versions.....)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro

Mon, Aug 4 · 09:10-11:15 · BBC One (HD)
World War One Remembered Across the Commonwealth

Three million men from the farthest corners of the world left their homes and travelled thousands of miles to fight alongside Britain.
Their little-known story will be told and honoured here.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04cp610

plus Free...
Download as pdf or MS Word doc
Plus others
History of  World War 1:
An Authentic Narrative of the World's Greatest War
The 720 page book with facts, photos and a very readable text about WW1.
Although the authors are American the book looks at the European aspects of the war and does not focus on US involvement.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18993

Fixes: 125

What I don't understand is why there are 'celebrations' for the start of the Great War. I don't remember there being anything special in '89, '99 or even 2009.
Surely any celebrations should be left till 2018 Undecided

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

I think it's important that everyone, especially the younger generation, understand the sacrifices that were made by those people of that generation to protect our freedom.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Does German T.V. do this sort of stuff?
We, ( the British ) seem to be obsessed with this World War One, and Two,.. and Falklands,  and Iraq, ... and Afghanistan... and others that have come after  "the war to end all wars"...
Yes, I agree, we should remember them.... Although I believe that the governments of the time were the one`s that sacrificed them... not the personnel who died.... they were just sacrifices, whilst the politicians stayed at home, and kept safe...
Community Veteran

Yes, German media is doing the same.
The newspapers are doing a day-by-day account starting yesterday.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Well, that does surprise me.... but in a "nice " way, I suppose...  Smiley
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: Mav
What I don't understand is why there are 'celebrations' for the start of the Great War.

I don't think celebration is the right word - surely it's remembering.
I lived through WW2  and when I  did my National Service ( 1953-55) I worked with civvies who had fought in WW1 - one actually had a tin leg to replace one he lost in Flanders.
I also had an uncle who was an officer in WW1 and WW2.

Somewhere I have the medals awarded to both my grandfathers.
My dad's father was a Prisoner of War and I had a letter on his release from King George V still with the seal. There were also several love letters between my grandmother and grandfather during his imprisonment.
Probably not worth anything in monetary value but a nice bit of hstory but after several recent moves I have no idea where it all is Sad

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
I think it's important that everyone, especially the younger generation, understand the sacrifices that were made by those people of that generation to protect our freedom.
They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Currently we are on the 4th generation since the start of the Great War, how many more future generations have to be thankful?
cajef
Grafter

I just wish they would not keep referring to it as the 'Great War' it makes is sound like something good, as far as I am concerned there is nothing great about any war. Sad

I always thought it was 'great' as in the great number of people killed.

kdiment
Rising Star

Just a little personal story on the subject of the two wars ...
A cousin of mine died aged 88 in 2003. She was born in 1915, just after her father was killed in WWI, so was brought up with difficulty by a single parent. In 1940, aged 25, she married a soldier who was killed three weeks later in WWII.
She devoted her life to working in what became the NHS, caring for others. Today I am remembering her life and feeling grateful for mine.
As Executor of her Will, I discovered that she had been well looked after financially by the State so had been able to live in some comfort. That was good but of course cannot compensate fully for the loss of both a father and a husband.
When will politicians learn that guns and bombs are never the answer to any problem?