cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Proms

Community Veteran

BBC Proms

Anyone else listening to the Proms - my radio is almost permanently tuned to R3 in the evenings at the moment - as it is now.
Only some of the very modern atonal stuff gets turned off.  I do try to listen - but music is supposed to be about enjoyment to me.
I think there is rather a lot of "The Kings Clothes" about some treatment of some modern music. 
11 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: BBC Proms

I am now. Smiley
Thanks for the reminder.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

what are you going to do tomorrow?
MUSIC: BBC Proms On: BBC Radio Three Date: Sunday 16th August 2009
Time: 10:30 to 11:50 (1 hour and 20 minutes long)
Live from the Royal Albert Hall, London.
Presented by Fiona Talkington. Indian Voices Day features a selection of music from the north of India, with inspiring singing including the classical style known as Khyal, as well as the virtuoso vocal style from Varanasi. Performers: Asima, Pandit Ram Narayan, Manjiri Asnare Kelkar, plus Pandit Ram Narayan (sarangi), Manjiri Asnare Kelkar (vocals), Pandits Rajan and Sajan Mishra (vocals), Aruna Narayan (sarangi), Akbar Latif (tabla), Babar Latif (tabla), Sudhir Nayak (harmonium).
Date: Sunday 16th August 2009 Time: 12:10 to 14:00 (1 hour and 50 minutes long)
Live from the Royal Albert Hall, London. Fiona Talkington presents the conclusion of an Indian Voices Prom. With performances by Pandits Rajan, Sajan Mishra and Asima plus Pandit Ram Narayan (sarangi), Manjiri Asnare Kelkar, Pandits Rajan, Sajan Mishra (vocals), Aruna Narayan (sarangi), Akbar Latif, Babar Latif (tablas), Sudhir Nayak (harmonium).

Date: Sunday 16th August 2009 Time: 19:30 to 20:15 (45 minutes long)
Live from the Royal Albert Hall, London.
Presented by Fiona Talkington. The Proms Indian Voices Day concludes with the first-ever Bollywood Prom, an all-singing, all-dancing extravaganza fronted by Shaan, one of the most versatile artists of the younger generation, and featuring performances from Shaan's own band and dancers from Honey's Academy. Shaan (vocalist), Honey's Dance Academy, The Groove.

Date: Sunday 16th August 2009 Time: 20:35 to 22:15 (1 hour and 40 minutes long)
Live from the Royal Albert Hall, London. Fiona Talkington presents the conclusion of the first-ever Bollywood Prom, an all-singing, all-dancing extravaganza fronted by Shaan, one of the most versatile artists of the younger generation. With performances from Shaan's own band and dancers from Honey's Academy. Shaan (vocalist), Honey's Dance Academy, The Groove.
(Part 2, 4 Star)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not to impressed with Stravinsky's Orpheus, Tommorrow night should be interesting, features Bollywood.
Commented to SWMBO, her reply (joke) ...'I enjoy Indy music'..........., my answer  'Indiana jones theme is good'.
Been a long day picking final blackcurrents almost 3 buckets full, already Jam'd, frozen, juiced, jellied, puree, bottled with rum running out of things to do.
Been a bumper crop this year
Now trying a blackcurrent brandy, should be able to ferment a dustbin full, takes a good deal of sugar, goin' try it as a 'local' prevention against swine flu.
Community Veteran

Well Pierre - I'll be listening most of the day to R3  - as ever since I visited India in the 1980's I've been fascinated with their music but have not done a lot about it to be honest.

I've listened to Classic FM since it started about 1992 - but these days I find their play list very restricted - and you hear the same pieces day after day, and sometimes even twice in one day.
Community Veteran

@journeys - "Not to impressed with Stravinsky's Orpheus,"
yes - not my favourite either -  but Beethoven 9 next is one of the classics  Grin
Loombucket
Grafter

I've just (earlier this evening) watched the Handel Anniversary prom on BBC2 and was utterly blown away by it.  I love Handel anyway (the best of the baroque composers IMHO) and I also love The Sixteen - a wonderful choir and chamber orchestra - who perform all their baroque era pieces on period instruments which I also love.
Heaven - a good dinner, a cracking good bottle of wine that has spent the last six years in my wine-cellar, and a Handel concert performed by The Sixteen.  It just doesn't get any better.
Cool

Community Veteran

Quote from: mal0z
I've listened to Classic FM since it started about 1992 - but these days I find their play list very restricted - and you hear the same pieces day after day, and sometimes even twice in one day.

Have you tried Spotify.It's free and the music catalogue is growing very quickly. I listen to a a lot of classical stuff on there. Its better than the radio because you get  to choose the music.
Community Veteran

I love the Proms... when I can find anyone with whom I can go to them. I abhor concert-going by myself (have tried it twice), so now I only go if I can find someone to accompany me... which, considering that most people I know aren't that (if at all) interested in the Proms, is rather difficult. Nevertheless, I did manage to get to an evening at the Proms last year - that is, a 'main' concert followed by a short late-evening one. The first concert contained Elgar's Sea Pictures, something else I can't remember, and something I'll never forget - Tchaikovsky's 6th symphony. (It was already one of my favourite works, but hearing/seeing it live really blew me away. Until the audience clapped at the end of the third movement anyway.) The later, smaller concert was a performance of Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time, which was also very beautiful in places.
Quote from: mal0z
Only some of the very modern atonal stuff gets turned off.  I do try to listen - but music is supposed to be about enjoyment to me.

I'm glad you suffixed that with 'to me' there else I would have a word or two (hundred) to say to you. Wink
Community Veteran

Don't the promenaders have a society you can join, so you quickly get to meet new friends to go with ? - or do you prefer the comfy seats ?
I regret that I haven't been to many Proms  in the Albert Hall - even when I lived within easy travelling distance, and an even bigger regret - I worked in London and stayed at Hotels in Victoria, Buckingham Palace Road all during the prom season yet never went - like you perhaps because I was alone in town. I even walked past the Albert hall on several of my walks up Constitution Hill and along Hyde Park  Sad - and now I'm too far away.
Community Veteran

Can't say I've heard of any such society, nor did a Google search show anything relevant... I'd certainly be interested if such a thing existed though. Having said that, I've never yet actually gone 'promming', although I wouldn't mind giving it a go some time.
And I know what you mean about travelling/location; part of my frustration with near-as-never going is that they are so accessible to me at the moment - just a long-ish bus then tube journey away - yet in a few years that might not be the case.
Community Veteran

Maybe start chatting on the BBC R3 message boards
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio3/F7497567
And I've heard that some local musical appreciation societies go down in groups ?.

and why not just ask here
http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/2009/abouttheproms/questions.shtml