cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC License fee

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: BBC License fee

Anyone who has been used to watching TV elsewhere in the world will know just how good the BBC is.
Highlighted
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Im so used to all other TV channels having adverts on I don't even notice that the BBC doesn't. As I record most programmes on my PVR and skip adverts with the press of a button it isn't an issue anyway. The quality of the BBC programming is little better than that of ITV and as they choose to spend our license fees paying people like Paxman and Clarksom millions each year I think that the license fee is a complete rip off and a total waste of money.
I would much rather see adverts on BBC and an additional 40p in my pocket any day.
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: rja66
I would much rather see adverts on BBC and an additional 40p in my pocket any day.

but you wouldn't see it in fact you would simply loose more money on the grounds that the licence fee collection system would now have to be administered by a third party in order for the transmission equipment to be maintained (since the beeb own all of it and provide the exorbitantly expensive capability to other channels for free)
without the beeb there would be no TV to receive, other nations they charge the Tv companies a fee to broadcast which results in them providing terrestrial services for free complete with 25 minutes of ads every hour (in order to pay for the service) plus those channels have so little in terms of free cash they cannot attract decent programs.
all the so called independent channels over here (UK) don't pay to transmit and so they have millions of pounds more to spend on awful celebs ridiculous salaries and can still produce top of the line programming as well, go watch TV in some none state subsidised nation and you will see the stuff is utterly bonk or 5+ years old (half the time they wait until its over 10 years old and then broadcast a bad copy as its "free")
as to the salaries' I cant argue, to my mind if there are people earning less than 30k a year there shouldn't be people getting paid more than 150k a year in state funded employments.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: nanotm

but you wouldn't see it in fact you would simply loose more money on the grounds that the licence fee collection system would now have to be administered by a third party in order for the transmission equipment to be maintained (since the beeb own all of it and provide the exorbitantly expensive capability to other channels for free)

Wrong!
The BBC hasn't owned/been responsible for the transmission infrastructure since the late 90s, when it was privatised and then sold off, firstly to an US company, who then passed it onto the National Grid, and then Arqiva who now run it.

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: DaveyH
Wrong!

Not for the first time I might add Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So if you never watch BBC you are still required to pay the license fee ? In short you are paying for something you don't use.
If the argument is that you have equipment that is capable of getting the BBC irrespective of whether or not you use it then the fee you are paying should be shared amongst the other channels as you are equally able to access them.
Apart from certain sections of society ie those over 75 who do not require a TV License there are thousands of people abroad who have access to BBC channels and pay nothing !
Good value ? are you sure, remind me again about the amount of money lost on the computer fiasco or the salary of some of those employed by the BBC. You agree for example that the money they were paying J Ross was money well spent ?
Highlighted
Fixes: 417

Quote from: gleneagles
So if you never watch BBC you are still required to pay the license fee ? In short you are paying for something you don't use.

Is there any difference when paying huge amounts to Sky or Virgin for their packages which, in all likely-hood, include several, if not many more, channels that never get watched by individuals?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes you have the choice, you are not forced into paying Sky or Virgin simply because you have a TV set.
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: Mav

Is there any difference when paying huge amounts to Sky or Virgin for their packages which, in all likely-hood, include several, if not many more, channels that never get watched by individuals?

There is always FreeView or Freesat that are for the pricely sum of £00.00 after the unit is purchased from around £20 upwards unless you get it from FreeCycle
Highlighted
Community Veteran

But Freeview and Freesat still require a licence to view Wink
Highlighted
Grafter

Only because of the BBC no ads system Wink
If the license was scrapped in favour for ads system, then it would be free as opposed to the likes of
1. Sky
2. Virgin Media
3. BT
4. StalkStalk
5. PlusNet (after the Trials) (NO Offence to PlusNet Intended)
Etc, etc
Highlighted
Champion

Yes you have the choice, you are not forced into paying Sky or Virgin simply because you have a TV set.

Nobody is forced into paying License Fees just for having a TV set.
Highlighted
Grafter

Basicaly anything that can access the interweb that can stream media with a monitor / screen et al, can justifiably, be  classed as a Smart TV set
Highlighted
Grafter

The licence fee is for watching any broadcast TV in the UK, irrespective of broadcaster. Watching ITV or Channel 4, live, requires a TV licence. I imagine that even Sky One would require a TV licence. They just don't receive any of the money, unlike the BBC.
Just owning a TV set does not require a licence, but if you get a visit you're going to have to do a good job proving that it isn't used for watching live TV. You will be hassled by TV licensing even if you don't even own a TV. They find the concept incomprehensible.
I have no issue with paying the TV licence fee, if watching TV (and I'd even extend that to the use of BBC iPlayer which does not require a licence, provided you're not watching live), but what I object to is the persistence of harassment because you are presumed guilty of stealing. The letters get quite nasty, which I presume is useful for scaring vulnerable members of society.
The whole scheme is stuck in the past. Why is there a discount for using a black and white TV? The colour signal has to be decoded by the Freeview box you almost certainly a using now, and so you are effectively receiving a colour signal, live. Why does that warrant a discount, yet using a PVR, and not watching "live", does not? Again on the PVR aspect, why is it acceptable to watch Pointless through BBC iPlayer, yet not acceptable to record it on your PVR whilst you are out at work, and watch it later? Do the BBC like wasting their bandwidth?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The licence can't have a shelf life of more than a couple of years left.
With the combination of a gadget orientated younger generation, a very high priced licence fee, and dropping smart TV prices it won't be long before watching live TV is dropped in favour of streaming "non live" programs. Because it will make more financial sense to those not made of money.