Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC License fee

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: BBC License fee

the beeb is still a state broadcasting station (not that you'd know it given all the anti government rhetoric they spout), as such it is responsible for administering the licence fee collection which it utilises to subsidise its operating costs
would you prefer that instead of a licence fee taxes went up, perhaps VAT or income tax increase by 1% to cover the cost (and it would cost considerably more to administer and collect the money through HMRC)
perhaps you would prefer a 2% increase in council tax instead (it would cost more for local councils to collect and forward the cash than for HMRC to do it)
personally I like the fact they let us pay direct and save the collection fee that would otherwise apply, I like even more that I can buy one licence and it covers any under 21's living in student accommodation I might have, it similarly allows me to use reception equipment all over the country in order to view the broadcast (be that online or O.T.A [over the air] whichever I choose at the time)
perhaps you would prefer if the fee was instead levied at broadcasting businesses forcing them to charge subscriptions to deliver the service
or tagged onto the cost of purchasing any viewing equipment, say a £50 mark up on each item, (the list for viewing aids would be rather large what with every internal and many peripheral parts of a pc being considered a viewing aid, mobiles and there ancillaries, actual TV's and I'm sure other devices that elude me at this time)
what ever way its administered it will cost at least double the current price and it will be far more annoying than needing to chip in a few pence a day for the privilege of being able to receive broadcast signals ....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Highlighted
Grafter

Let them become a subscription service, then they can fight on a level playing field alongside everyone else. Perhaps then they won't just ride on their success of Top Gear and Doctor Who to give the illusion that they're delivering quality.
I don't see why the cost per day is so fantastic. I could quote a lot of things as being some apparently inconsequential amount, when divided far enough.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The TV Licence should be like the Driving Licence: subject to points for offences, disqualification and revocation.  So if someone watches the TV while not properly licensed it would lead to a six month ban on watching TV.
Of course this could be extended for endorsements for watching TV while under the influence of alcohol.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Highlighted
Fixes: 414

So how many points for watching TV without due care and attention Undecided Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm

personally I like the fact they let us pay direct and save the collection fee that would otherwise apply, I like even more that I can buy one licence and it covers any under 21's living in student accommodation I might have, it similarly allows me to use reception equipment all over the country in order to view the broadcast (be that online or O.T.A [over the air] whichever I choose at the time)

Believe you need to check on both Students and what you can do away from home. Students can only watch TV using their parents TV licence if running on batteries which is also the same restriction when you use equipment away from home.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
So how many points for watching TV without due care and attention Undecided Cheesy

Or, falling asleep at the TV!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Highlighted
Fixes: 414

Quote from: itsme
Believe you need to check on both Students and what you can do away from home. Students can only watch TV using their parents TV licence if running on batteries which is also the same restriction when you use equipment away from home.
Ahh, but what if the battery is plugged in to the mains and charging at the same time?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 62

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/
You watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - online, on a TV, or on any device (even a laptop)
This is the case whatever device you use – whether a laptop, PC, mobile phone, games console, digital box, VHS/DVD recorder or anything else. It also includes programmes you watch online at the same time as they’re being shown on TV, for example live sport. (However, if your mobile device isn’t plugged in, you’ll still be covered by your parents’ licence.)
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Quote from: NedLudd
However you look at it, watching TV without a licence is still theft and theft is a criminal offence!  Angry

It's only an offence because the government made it one. If there was no law saying you must have a licence it would not be an offence. What do you think of those who watch stuff online without a licence?
Oddly radar uses many similar technologies (radio waves, display screens) and yet we don't have to pay for a radar licence. The TV licence is just another stealth tax so that the government can have a bit of control over the media and what the public are told. Yes thats right, we pay to be brainwashed  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
And that's the daft thing about it, if they do lock you up then there is no council tax to pay and you can see tvwithout a license  Wink

Which is when I get to pensionable age I shall stop paying my council tax. Stuff sitting in a nursing home being abused by staff who never made their dreams in life a success, I'll go to jail and have guards, room service, en-suite, free TV, dental, education etc. Doesn't sound too bad really compared to some of the terrible care homes we have  Cheesy
Highlighted
Grafter

At least you will be treated like royalty Roll_eyes
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Exactly! I'll be important to them, have rights, visitors, maybe even a playstation too!!!
Lets face it, being old and redundant with failing health is pretty much a prison sentence anyway so you might as well go the whole way and enjoy it! It's a free government service afterall and pensions won't exist by the time I retire so I might as well get my moneys worth somehow  Cheesy
Highlighted
Grafter

Playstation / cloud more like it
That is if Sony are still making them Cheesy when your due to retire
Highlighted
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
amazingly over 100 were jailed last year for refusing to pay

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. The BBC/TV Licensing are well known for pulling statistics straight out of their back sides, as part of their intimidation tactics.
Highlighted
Grafter

I'm another one who thinks the beeb is an absolute bargain - for all it's faults, it is Britains greatest cultural organisation.  Bar none.
It would be criminal to destroy the Beeb simply because competitors like Murdoch's Sky and Liberty Global's Virgin (both US owned) don't like it.  Which is what is driving the entire anti-Beeb movement.  The idea that Britain should destroy it's own cultural powerhouse simply to allow American competitors unfettered access to it's market is simply outrageous.
Also, re the criminality of non-payment: isn't watching Sky or Virgin TV without paying for it a criminal offense?  Admittedly, it's a tad more difficult to do but just because something is easier to do doesn't mean it's not criminal: just because it's easy to steal candy from a baby doesn't make it right.  The people who are jailed for non-payment of their TV license are given plenty of opportunity to pay but deliberately refuse: what choice do courts have?