cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC License fee

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BBC License fee

Seems the BBC are strongly objecting to non payment of the license fee becoming a civil rather than criminal offence, amazingly over 100 were jailed last year for refusing to pay and whilst I don 't know the specific circumstances of those who were jailed the offence is nothing compared to a lot of serious offences that others just seem to get off for due to human rights or some other sob story.
63 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: BBC License fee

Look at the criminal that commit heinous & sickening acts upon innocent children that escapes just because his wife & the mother of his 6 children does not speak or speaks limited English
Community Veteran

Paying £145.50 came as a bit of a shock to me when I bought one this year.
As I've never had to buy one in well over a decade.
Community Veteran

As I've said in another thread at under 40p a day I think the licence fee is a bargain Wink
Fixes: 125

And you can spread the cost over the year by paying by Direct Debit.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Seems the BBC are strongly objecting to non payment of the license fee becoming a civil rather than criminal offence, amazingly over 100 were jailed last year for refusing to pay

It's like council tax. If you "won't" pay they'll lock you up for that too. It's a worrying trend that they'll lock you up for not giving them money while letting rapists and kiddy fiddlers go free. I thought this was a democracy but with legal behaviour like that it's a dictatorship.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

And that's the daft thing about it, if they do lock you up then there is no council tax to pay and you can see tvwithout a license  Wink
Community Veteran

However you look at it, watching TV without a licence is still theft and theft is a criminal offence!  Angry
Like others here, I believe it to be good value for money and, it keeps commercials off the beeb channels!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.

Quote from: NedLudd
Like others here, I believe it to be good value for money and, it keeps commercials off the beeb channels!  Cheesy
+2

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

Throwing my own 2c in, I have to agree that for what the BBC output, create, invent, develop etc etc the license fee is a bloody good bargain!
Yes they have their problems and make mistakes, name a company/human that doesn't!

SWMBO  Shocked Cheesy Roll eyes

TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
And that's the daft thing about it, if they do lock you up then there is no council tax to pay and you can see tvwithout a license  Wink

I am quite sure Her Majesty's pleasure has to purchase a TV license for each of their establishments, as well as an entertainment license, therefore @ us TAX PAYERS expense (yet again)
Community Veteran

Quote from: NedLudd
it keeps commercials off the beeb channels

That's as long as you don't count the ever growing period between programs spent telling us what "marvelous" shows will be coming soon.
Quote from: artmo
40p a day

That's 40p too much.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
<snip>
That's 40p too much.

Are you proposing that they pay us to watch their constant repeated rubbish Roll eyes
Quote from: Mav
SWMBO  Shocked Cheesy Roll eyes

I 2nd that motion
CX
Grafter

Would it be acceptable for Rupert Murdoch or Richard Branson to send threatening letters to home owners that choose to not use their products? Why is it deemed acceptable for the BBC (TV Licensing/Capita) to do so?
There has been a lot of outcry about companies like Microsoft, Google, Apple, Amazon etc but what they've done over the years (anti-competition, privacy, working conditions etc) is nothing compared to the BBC.