cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Licence

Community Veteran

BBC Licence

It has been announced that the BBC will take over the responsibility to fund the licence fee for the over 75 year olds.
Additionally it has also been announced that the BBC could be allowed to start charging for the use of its iplayer service.
BBC Finances
32 REPLIES
PitchBlack
Grafter

Re: BBC Licence

I read last week that they are shutting down BBC3 and moving it online, then it said the BBC would start and show live programmes on BBCi player. I guess they are upset that people can watch catch up TV without a TV licence, so showing live TV on BBCi player will negate that. So now they are funding over 75's they will say they have a valid reason to up the licence fee.

edit
Before anyone has a go, I am all for the over 75's getting a free TV licence, IMO they should bring it down to 70.
Community Veteran

During the next Charter period the licence fee will increase by inflation each year of the new Charter period.
PitchBlack
Grafter

Just like our wages  Wink
Community Veteran

I think that it's right to close the door on those that claim to be NOT watching live programming.
After all, the program making still has to be paid for!
[dons tin hat!]
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

No need for a tin hat NedLudd, you are absolutely right Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I agree that the freebie benefit of iplayer being used by non licence payers needs to be addressed but making existing licence payers pay a second charge to use iplayer is immoral.
We pay our licence to use TV and BBC services. Therefore we have paid for iplayer already. If they want us to hand over our licence number and setup an account where we sign in then fine but make us pay a second charge for something we've already paid for? Not fine.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

As I understand it if you pay a licence fee you will be given a code to allow you to use iplayer. How it will work I don't know.
Part of the Charter Review is to look at the licence fee so it is always possible it could be replaced with some other way of funding the BBC.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Shouldn't be given a code we already have one. It's called our license number. BBC KISS.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I watch very little TV these days, it's all the same now, gets quite tedious watching the same premise from one show to another, so to fund repeats of repeats that are repeatedly repeated is not economically viable, after all, you don't pay to watch a tape, DVD or BluRay every time you take it off the shelf... Roll eyes
What I watch the most these days is Youtube, real things happening, made by real people with cameras talking about real things (mostly)... Smiley
Community Veteran

Which is another point - courtesy of 2cv..
The news was saying that the TV licence would be extended to cover all online catch up services.
Now in the olden days the enforcers used to pick up on the oscillator in the TV set apparently to determine if you were watching TV illegally.
How do they propose to catch people now? - There is only one way - ISP traffic snooping.
But then where does the likes of youtube fit in? - A lot of it is not TV content / catch up so you can't force people to pay for watching amateur videos of people doing stunts and stuff.. but no doubt they'll decide they can and will snoop on the traffic stream to your house via your isp.
I don't like the way this is going. I'll admit it's a clever way the government have got rid of a huge financial burden but i don't like the way this is looking from the draconian POV.
PLan2015
Grafter

Well today they mainly(99% ?) check your address against their database and if you don't have a licence they send lots of threatening letters and now and again one of the licence fee Gestapo will ring your doorbell and attempt to intimidate you.
Matching IP addresses to users requires a Norwich Pharmacal Order AFAIK and I don't see TV licensing using that often, so it'll probably be more of the same, more threatening letters etc.  Tongue  
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: PLan2015
and now and again one of the licence fee Gestapo will ring your doorbell and attempt to intimidate you.

While aiming a camera at them, say this:
"By law I am required to inform you that your implied right of access is hereby revoked and you must leave the property immediately or I will have no option but to call the police to have you forcibly removed"
If they fail to abide, they're breaking the law... Cool
Community Veteran

Quote from: PLan2015
Well today they mainly(99% ?) check your address against their database and if you don't have a licence they send lots of threatening letters and now and again one of the licence fee Gestapo will ring your doorbell and attempt to intimidate you.
Matching IP addresses to users requires a Norwich Pharmacal Order AFAIK and I don't see TV licensing using that often, so it'll probably be more of the same, more threatening letters etc.  Tongue  

Yes but you realise that the government are changing the very concept of the way tv licensing works don't you? - They may no longer need any order at all.. they may simply give TV licensing free reign to look at any traffic / ip / house information they want.
You know how the government of the UK works.. walk all over the little people whenever it wants regardless of their so called rights..
Community Veteran

This has nothing to do with YouTube. The BBC will simply be looking at charges for its own iplayer.