cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC HD channel..... what a con!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

BBC HD channel..... what a con!

I am a skeptic.. ( spelling error deliberate ) ... about HD TV.. and now I have some proof that it is really a BIG CON .....
BBC1 HD is showing a couple of REPEATS of programmess made before HD TV was invented... how can they tell me that these programmes  (Are you being served & `Allo `Allo) will look much better because they are shown on HD TV  ? ?   
I think they should have re-programmed them to read....... `Allo  `Allo .... Are you being conned ....  Roll eyes
45 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: BBC HD channel..... what a con!

You can remaster programmes to HD.
Dad's Army has been sometimes shown in HD on BBC 2 HD.
TORPC
Grafter

The TV sale / manufacturing / Channel producing industry
Are like the Vacuum Cleaner makers
They have run out of ideas, therefore has to make it up as they go along
In the hope that there are gullible people that will fall for their spiels
Either way it is all a big con
Community Veteran

I think we should all ask for a partial refund of our colour license fee whenever Brief Encounter is shown.  Crazy
shalom2010
Grafter

Where's BBC 3D then Smiley
Community Veteran

Erm... do you really think... that Aunty BBC has the time and money to do that?  
If a film is made in Monochrome with a certain frame rate... it will only pick up a certain amount of detail.... yes, you can colour it, and improve the contrast, if you have the time... and the money... and the equipment... and a market for it...
However.. no amount of jiggery pokery behind the scenes, will make an old TV programme High Dynamic.... if you can`t  see the hairs up an actors nose....in the first place,........ it won`t be there in HD... even after jiggery pokery...
Community Veteran

It might not be true HD...but I think some of the digitally remastered stuff is pretty good compared to the original.
Certainly some of the Bond films look a lot better in HD than in SD.
TORPC
Grafter

Does anyone remember a life before TV
I vaguely do & it was much more entertaining as we made it up as we went along.
Thay can not better the originals by digitally remastering, messing about as it takes the nostalgic values away for starters
kmilburn
Grafter

Just because it's being shown on a HD channel,  doesn't mean it's from a HD source.  The SKY EPG can be colour coded to indicate HD vs SD programmes.
If they've got the original film stock and it is of sufficient quality,  getting a HD copy is fairly trivial as the film stock is a higher resolution.  A lot of the older films and TV shows can be converted to HD for this reason.
Going through the trouble of clearing up artifacts, sorting out colour and all the other tricks used in digital re-mastering may take a bit more effort.
There are some tricky cases though, anything which mixed live and  CG content has a problem,  e.g. Babylon 5, where the live shots are good quality,  while the CG shots were only created for SD and appear fuzzy where they've been upscaled.
Some newer shows that started with the early digital cameras where only shot in SD,  so have no prospect for a proper HD makeover.  But as has been seen with some films on Blur-Ray,  that won't stop them pretending they've done so.
As for being sceptical, if you've got a good quality TV of a suitable size for the viewing distance, and you watch a lot of HD content, it doesn't take long for the difference between them to become very obvious.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: AndyH
Certainly some of the Bond films look a lot better in HD than in SD.

But they, like many other films, have been converted from very high resolution film.
Some TV programs were filmed onto celluloid so will convert to true HD. Star Trek the Next Generation is a case in point.
A further con with BBC is the lower resolution of 1440x1080 and lower bit rate.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Thunderclap
Grafter

These are the HD channels that show programmes on BBC1 and BBC2 and BBC3... not programmes made in HD which the ancient BBC HD channel did. That's when someone thought hang on, instead of showing the same HD programmes over and over again, why not show non-HD programmes too. I bet the guy who thought of that was called Justin and wore red framed spectacles. I should point out his lenses let him see in 3D, so there's no need for a BBC 3D. As for BBC4 HD, that's only available from main transmitters and not relays. Go figure. But if you've seen some of the naffo content on BBC3 you'll wonder why they have a HD multiplex waisted on them anyway?
You can have HD Remasters of old programmes - Many American sitcoms of the 90s and 2Ks where filmed on 35mm. So going back to the original negative means you can have Friends in true HD qualtity. Nay, 4K quality! Sadly, much of the filming of British shows was done using cheapo 16mm and Super16 in the winter - so the quality wasn't that great, even for BBC Colour on UHF 22.
Btw anyone actually bought a 4K TV set? Saw a 4K set in John Lewis. Stunning is the only word. Although the content did get a little repetitive after five minutes....
Community Veteran

You can remaster programmes to HD.
Dad's Army has been sometimes shown in HD on BBC 2 HD.

DId you watch it?  What difference was there between the HD version and the original? 
Detailed analysis will convince me.......
Lack of... will also convince me....  Smiley
Community Veteran

I flicked between the BBC 2 and BBC 2 HD versions...quite a big difference.
Community Veteran

Just because it's being shown on a HD channel,  doesn't mean it's from a HD source.

So... what is the point of showing it on an HD channel?  and rather proves my orignal statement .....
Showing NON HD programmes on and HD channel is only filling in time slots, because they haven`t got enough HD stuff to repeat....  Roll eyes
@ AndyH.... I refer to BBC1 HD... showing non HD vintage repeats of repeats.... just because you flicked between two channels is not going to convince me that the BBC are conning the public by showing repeats of repeats on an HD channel, giving the impression that they will see "more/better quality"  in the HD version than they did in the original....
Fixes: 125

I flicked between the BBC 2 and BBC 2 HD versions...quite a big difference.

It will depend on the source material. No matter what algorithm is used for upscaling where true HD isn't available rubbish in = rubbish out.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still