cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Democracy Live

Community Veteran

BBC Democracy Live

I'm not sure how long these pages have been live, but I usually visit BBC News website at least daily and this is the first time I've seen this new section on UK polotics.
Worth a look if you are at all interested in such things. i found some wonderful old videos - like Howes resignation speech about 20 years ago when he made a stinging attach on Thatchers style of Government - ring any bells !!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/democracylive/hi/default.stm
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: BBC Democracy Live

A new one for me but could be very useful  Cool
Community Veteran

If you want a laugh look at Brown's performance on PMQs starting at about 12 minutes in.  Cameron on top form and wiping the floor with Brown.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Democracy Live was launched at the beginning of November 2009.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/2009/11/democracy-live.shtml
Community Veteran

Yes - but come on be fair Artmo - there are just as many good performances on the front bench from BOTH sides- just think about the years of the early Blair years - and as much as you may dislike or hate the guy - the tory front bench was pathetic for years, and it's only since Cameron took over have they become a good opposition.
Community Veteran

Thanks Alanf - I don't know how I missed it...........
idlewis
Grafter

It ha s been on for a wee while but some of the videos do not run the full length and if you close down the computer half way through, you need to start again while the BBC I PLAYER starts where you left off, so it needs improved a little.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Does PMQ`s actually achieve anything?  except perhaps provide some "light relief" from the day to day drudgery of the House?  It seems to be the most popular "session" amongst the MP`s..... whereas some of the "major" decision debates only attract a handful, 8 or 10 in some cases.  When you see them reported, it is no wonder we get such a lousy deal from our parliament....
Voting in the U.K. should be compulsory for those eligible, and it should also be compulsory for 75% of each party to attend the sessions at Westminster, EVERY DAY.... not just when they feel like it....
By having compulsory voting. we ALL have a say in who governs us..... those who don`t vote at present, are the vociferous minority that always complain about the government of the day, regardless of which is in charge.... MP`s are elected to do a job.... and whilst they may consider holding a 1 hour "surgery" once a week in their constiuency, as "work" what do they do the rest of the time?  Certainly most of them do not appear in the House, to debate the issues of the day. UNLESS a "3 line whip" is brought to bear. (and I mean that in the political sense!)
Community Veteran

I agree with you about the poor attendance in the House for some debates.  Obviously they don't have a quorum for debates.  I wonder what would happen if, say, only 2 MPs turned up Undecided
Community Veteran

Just checked and a quorum in Parliament is 40 including the speaker.  They don't all have to be present at the same time though.
Quorum
Community Veteran

I won't write an essay, but parliament has changed in the last 30 year's - a lot of work is done in the committee rooms - and good work too. If you have BBC Parliament or this website - you can watch them - where ministers , senior civil servants are interviewed by select committees.
Even when I was young and my Aunt worked there - i used to see in the public seat in many such select committee meetings. Not many of the public do it - they just seem to watch the commons. I don't know about now, but back then you went to the policeman guarding the public entrance to parliament and say yo are visiting the committee rooms, and you get past the long queue for the the HoC  Cheesy
T
And don't forget about the whips. / paring system where the major parties allow MP's to pair up so they can be excused voting for any number of ligitimate reason.
The 2 and 3 line whip system of course cancels out this paring system, and why you sometimes see ill MP's brought in to vote.
David_W
Rising Star

From that link I found this gem  1967 but the end, good grief it's accurate to todays web 2.0 generation, blogging/twitter/facebook etc..