Pro
Fixes: 2

BBC Current Non HD channels preparing for HD transmissions on Freeview

BBC THREE HD and CBBC HD
Just appeared on the BBCB mux:
LCN 105 BBC THREE HD
LCN 73 CBBC HD
MHEG says "New service launching soon"

And, most likely LCN 106 will go to BBC Four HD, with LCN 107 going to BBC News HD...

About time too.
Initially, probably only on Main Freeview Transmitters.

This confirms an earlier BBC Media Press Release, from July this year
BBC to launch five new subscription-free HD channels
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbchdchannels.html
Technical background.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_terrestrial_television_in_the_United_Kingdom
52 REPLIES
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: BBC Current Non HD channels preparing for HD transmissions on Freeview

Woo Hoo, BBC3 in HD... remind me not to watch
CX
Grafter

I really hope these aren't going to appear on the main DVB-T2 multiplex. It's full, despite what the bean counters want to believe.
If they do, we're just going down the same route with Freeview HD as has ruined image quality on all of the SD Freeview channels. Channel Five is a bitrate-starved joke.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I've checked and it is on the BBC HD Mux.
The broadcasting times for BBC3 and CBBC are mutually exclusive so it is only adding the load of one channel to the load.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

I still watch most of my telly on a 1974 CRT. I don't mind a slightly soft image - it's soft content that makes me switch over or off. However I do find motion blur off-putting, and the non-CRTs that deal with that adequately are few and expensive, and HD seems to highlight the effect.
Gabe
Infinity
Pro

BBC Three HD ( and CBBC HD) are scheduled to be available on local Freeview Light transmitters, with their restricted number of Channels, fed from nearby Main transmitters.
As happened with BBC1 & BBC2 becoming available in HD, on local Freeview Light transmitters.
Not all of the Main transmitters will be carrying the other BBC HD channels, when they start transmission, at least not planned at the moment.
All the proposed HD versions of BBC Channels will be available on Satellite,  if you have a HD box, to view or record content, even without a HD subscription.

Community Veteran

Expats will be in for a further BBC blackout soon - Astra 2E was launched a few weeks ago and is currently testing (on its way to 28.2 east). Once up and running, the BBC channels will move from Astra 1N over to 2E. Astra 1N will then be moved to 19.2 east.
RichAllen
Grafter

I stopped caring about BBC3 after Two Pints of Lager finished its final series in 2009.
I now watch Top of the Pops 1978 on a Thursday night on BBC4.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK

BBC Three HD ( and CBBC HD) are scheduled to be available on local Freeview Light transmitters, with their restricted number of Channels, fed from nearby Main transmitters.
As happened with BBC1 & BBC2 becoming available in HD, on local Freeview Light transmitters.
Not all of the Main transmitters will be carrying the other BBC HD channels, when they start transmission, at least not planned at the moment.
All the proposed HD versions of BBC Channels will be available on Satellite,  if you have a HD box, to view or record content, even without a HD subscription.

Quote from: jelv
I've checked and it is on the BBC HD Mux.

I have it too.
On my Freeview "Light" local transmitter.
(Quick grab off portable HD TV)
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: RichAllen
I stopped caring about BBC3 after Two Pints of Lager finished its final series in 2009.

You make a valid point here; a lot of the BBC's HD channels content was not made in HD in the first place.
Not even pixel interpolation detracts from the inconvenient truth that the BBC's Freeview schedule is crammed with content that does not warrant full HD. Up to the early 1990's, most TV programmes were shot on grainy 16mm film and 'comet trailing' RGB tubes. And although the recordings were saved to one inch video, the archival definition is sub S-VHS. Back in the day, all programmes needed to be was well written and funny, not made for repeating in forty years time in a format from Tomorrows World.
As for new content, all is shot with HD pixels but little is made with HD production values - that's paying attention to lighting, production design and makeup! Meanwhile US sitcoms - like Friends - were shot in 35mm so, they can be remastered in full HD by going back to the original camera negatives but, the broadcast definition of the UK video vault is as good as it gets. So do you really need HD? Maybe if you're sitting THIS close to your 42 incher and need to see every compression artefact surrounding Sheridan Smith.
Cool Stuff HD - 4K is the future
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Thunderclap

You make a valid point here; a lot of the BBC's HD channel content was not made in HD in the first place.

Not true.
The whole point of BBC HD was as a showcase for HD programming, unlike the other 'HD' channels which are simulcasts.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

That was true when it was BBC HD and picked programs from BBC 1 or 2. When BBC 1/2 was showing something non-HD they'd show something else. Now they are BBC1 HD and BBC 2 HD the programs they are showing may well not be in HD.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Quote from: RichAllen

It took me a while to notice that the late repeat was usually longer than the 7.30 edit. Apart from missing the episodes with unrepeatable presenters, we seem to be getting a lot more of Legs & Co where they've swapped out the original clips from Grease, etc.
Gabe
RichAllen
Grafter

Oh yes, those Legs and Co dancers are very fit...
Fixes: 121

I think were is the correct tense Wink
I always preferred Pans People.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still