cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BA Strike

Community Veteran

BA Strike

Unless there is a last minute change of heart then it looks like BA will be striking over Christmas.  Thankfully I'm not booked with them but my neighbours should be flying to the Bahamas with them on 26th.  Anyone else affected?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8411214.stm
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: BA Strike

My daughter flew to the USA yesterday on BA and is due back just before Xmas to join the family, or probably not......  Angry
If they go ahead they'll kill BA and all lose most of their pensions as well.
Fixes: 47

That sounds like union power Angry
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I was listening briefly to James Wale on LBC this evening, who was interviewing a couple of BA cabin staff a junior on long haul and, a cabin services director. Both claimed that Willy Walsh was totally distorting the pay taken home by the people by many thousands of pound, and quoting salaries that were possible some years ago before a complete overhaul of the pay structure, that are simply not possible these days.
Both were equally scathing in their opinions of Walsh's background where he ground Aer Lingus into an airline only fit for the dustbin.
Other reports quoted in the programme suggested that many cabin staff were not going to strike, although the turnout and percentage in favour reported on the BBC news suggests otherwise.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I heard on the news last night that the cabin crews are paid twice what Virgin cabin crew are paid..... they are just being greedy, especially when the union guy on tv tonight said they had to make a hard decision about inconveniencing the public....
Oh Yeah!... Let`s have a strike over Christmas, we can all be at home with our families, and joe public will understand why we have ruined theirs.  Undecided
Community Veteran

There does seem to be a big difference in salaries quoted by BA and those quoted by staff.  I heard the same programme on LBC as Petlew and the cabin services director said he was earning upper £20k but BA quoted his salary around £35K.
Community Veteran

The first casualty in these events is the truth.
Management peddle their views - biased towards their side and the unions do likewise.
Rarely do any papers or TV report the essential truths.
Some people of a conservative persuasion take the side of management
and some people of a left of centre labour paper take the unions side.
I know - or rather knew many BA pilots and cabin crews and they certainly were very well paid compared to smaller airlines - but then BA run larger fleets of large aircraft.

Community Veteran

In recent years I understand pay and conditions have been reduced. BA does say, however, that only new staff will be affected.  Difficult to know who is telling the truth.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@mal0z. Everything you say is absolutely correct. However, with one proviso, many BA cabin crew did not start with BA but aspired to it. The smaller airlines have always been seen as the "training ground" and a stepping stone to better things, better pay, better conditions with national flag carriers. It is one of the reasons why cabin crew with national flag carriers can seem can I say delicately "more mature" than the "bright young things" in the holiday and smaller carriers.
Lets face it BA management can hardly be considered "loyal" with their reputation for company hopping for the same reasons the cabin staff do. In common with captains of any industry who are largely interested in asset stripping rather than the conditions of their "loyal" staff. Walsh has been brought in to do a job (to apparently reduce BA to the level of a budget airline) He will be proved right or wrong if and when the customers vote with their feet.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It amuses me to hear all this rhetoric about employees going on strike because their union doesn't agree with the employers business strategy.
Unite rigged a ballot and and then imposed their own Christmas wishes on a million BA customers. It was interesting that the some of the  cabin crew where saying they voted for a strike but didn't know the strike would be for so many days or that it would be over Christmas, it seem Unite decided that.
BA, like most airlines, are struggling these days and are on target to lose a billion pounds this year. So the union and the cabin crew think the company should continue with unsustainable current pay and conditions while BA loses more money. Are they all stupid? If BA don't restructure the business they will all be out of a job!
If they don't like their current pay or conditions at BA they should just leave and go and get another job. Then other people who want a job at BA will have the opportunity to do so.
The union officials, of course, get well paid to propagate this misery.
Community Veteran

Although the court has stalled the problem over Christmas it won't go away.  January is going to be an interesting month in this dispute.  Both sides need to sit round a table with an independent arbitrator and be bound by his judgment.
Community Veteran

Agreed Artmo -
We need to get away from this bad management style and beligerent union officails which Britain suffered from back in the 60's and 70's.
There is no fixed right and wrong.
Just long how things have changed in the automtotive industry.
Back in the bad old days of British Leyland - and was it mad Mick ? - we had intrangedent attitudes on both sides and endless desputes.
yes what do we have now - first Nissan, Toyota, Honda have been just three companies - all Japanese as it happens - have transformed the automotive industry in the UK. Effficiency levels un heard of back in the 70's & 80's and good management techniques. How many big industrial disputes do they have now.
We have to honesty - whatever our political allegencies - that it takes good management with well organised and motivated staff - who are given a fair deal. Sadly Britian hasn't been briliant at management, and we have had some very belligerent union leaders - well we still do it some places - I'm thinking of Bob Crow of the RMT.
Some people think all unions are a bad idea - well we have to remeber that they were responsible for improvement to working conditions, along with their labour party. We don't want managers like the old mine owners exploiting their staff in unsafe mines. And we still have managements that will - if given the chance just take advantage of their staff.
And we need reasonable union staffs that will genuinely work for a fair deal, but be reasonable too.
Far too much of intransigent attitudes on both sides - helped ruin much of British industry.
Back to BA - they no doubt still have old company attitiudes - when smaller more flexible airlines have done a lot better.
Community Veteran

BA seem to have learned nothing from the likes of Easyjet and Ryanair.  They had a very successful low cost carrier but sold it to Easyjet.
Community Veteran

Go - I seem to recall
Community Veteran

Yes, and an excellent airline they were.  When BA  decided to sell them to Easyjet they felt their image was wrong.  Go was run by Barbara  who went on to be on our Olympics bid committee.