cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B.T. profits set to soar in the new year !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

B.T. profits set to soar in the new year !

Just received an email from B.T.........

Important changes to your BT services.
Hello,
We're changing some of our prices in December

>From 1 December 2014 line rental will go up to £16.99 a month

12 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: B.T. profits set to soar in the new year !

Its getting dearer and dearer across the board and getting almost as out of hand as the TV license. BT has been soaring in profits for years anyway.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

People will be getting pay rises next year too   Grin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29122625
Community Veteran

£17 a month plus in excess of 15p to connect a call is bordering insane.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I suspect one of our essex members will shortly be along saying it's all good news and that BT is in an excellent position financially along with its share holders lol
Seriously though when times are tough, why do big profitable businesses think its right to make life harder for everyone?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TORPC
Grafter

They would actually make more money if they made things completely affordable under the current financial climbs, & provide a much better service in return
However
That said
Until some regulatory body gives them a swift kick in their glutues maximus, they will continue to rip not just the end users off / but the ISP's also
Therefore it will always be a win win for BT's shareholders etc
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I suspect - but could be completely wrong - that BT Retail being, unregulated, is the only bit which is making significant profits
It looks as though that (incl Plusnet) is the only part where revenue is increasingt http://www.btplc.com/News/ResultsPDF/q114-release.pdf
Community Veteran

BT Consumer:
We are the largest consumer fixed-voice and broadband provider in the UK with a growing base of TV and BT Sport customers.
We sell BT-branded fixed-voice, broadband and TV services directly to UK homes. We also sell BT Sport and BT Wi-Ƭ to commercial premises and offer a range of consumer devices (such as telephones and baby monitors) through third-party high street retailers.
Our Plusnet brand allows us to grow our market share amongst more price conscious fixed-voice and broadband customers.
We have focused on growing revenues from broadband (including fibre) and TV to oƪset declines in traditional fixed-voice services.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I think BT Openreach should be nationalised (or spun off as an entirely separate company) with the rest of BT left as a public company. That would help other companies compete whilst protecting our national infrastructure. The private commerce decisions of BT using Chinese equipment as a major part of the telecoms backbone infrastructure was a crazy decision on a national basis. It effectively wiped out our telecoms manufacturing industry to the detriment of our national security.
Having real competition might just deal with the 15p connection charge. Such as charge might have been realistic when human operators were involved in the connection process, but with automated exchanges it is merely a way to charge overheads recovery (inefficiency) with no gain to the consumer. In the 80s and 90s there was real competition such as Mercury Telecoms developing, but it was smothered by BT's monopoly position.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Not all home/business telephone providers using BT infrastructure charge a connection fee or round calls up to whole minutes, nor have they all increased their line rental charges repeatedly over the last couple of years.  Most follow where BT Retail lead but there are alternatives out there who don't so I don't think Openreach (or even BT Wholesale) are part of this money grabbing conspiracy on line rental and call charges.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Fixes: 47

Plusnet are doing quite well ATM http://companycheck.co.uk/company/03279013/PLUSNET-PLC/financial-accounts#financials
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Having real competition might just deal with the 15p connection charge. Such as charge might have been realistic when human operators were involved in the connection process, but with automated exchanges it is merely a way to charge overheads recovery (inefficiency) with no gain to the consumer. In the 80s and 90s there was real competition such as Mercury Telecoms developing, but it was smothered by BT's monopoly position.

The connection charge/telephone call charges have nothing to do with Openreach.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Ahah! Did I say Openreach charged connection fees? I was referring the other part of BT as not truly exposed to competition, hence them feeling able to charge connection fees. The point about properly separating OpenReach from BT, i.e. different board and ownership, would then allow other commercial telecoms companies a level playing field for service provision.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.