cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B.T.Gave Me a Going Away Present

Steve
Seasoned Pro

B.T.Gave Me a Going Away Present

Just got my final bill from them and ive been charged £88.00 for breaking my contract that i thought was finished,and if it wasnt it only had a few weeks to go,not a very nice way to treat customers is it?
I never even got warned that i was about to break my contract from them,i honestly thought it was finished so i moved to plusnets home phone.
B.T. If your reading this you can whistle,im not accepting that,no way hosey!! Angry
12 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: B.T.Gave Me a Going Away Present

If you give them a ring and explain the situation (You've moved from Retail to Retail!), hopefully they should see the light.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@jameseh,just had a long chat with bt and they renewed my contract on the 5th of august and my plusnet order was not put to them till the 14th so ive broken a renewed 12 month contract,after your advisement of me mentioning ive moved from retail to retail basically the guy was having none of it Angry
mentalist3d
Grafter

Sorry to hear about your problems, I totally hate having to deal with BT, its a shame that in the UK if you need to get connected you have to do it through BT. I've just moved to new business premises and we will have to get BT to reconnect us (Thankfully this will only cost us £20 rather than the £100+ to get a new line installed).
Why is it that you can only get connected through BT, surely all the ISP and Phone Providers should be allowed to connect someone up to the Phone Exchange. I also thought the UK had anti-monopoly laws?!?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: steve74
@jameseh,just had a long chat with bt and they renewed my contract on the 5th of august and my plusnet order was not put to them till the 14th

Did THEY contact you telling you that the contract was due for renewal? If not THEY have broken the contract not you.
I had this in April when my Free contract was renewed, they "forgot" to tell me it was up for renewal and about 2 months later they offered me a "get out free" option, I stayed as they were still cheaper for my useage.
itsme
Grafter

Openreach does the work but any telecom provider can do a new line if they so wish. PN has been known to do especially on a home move.
https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/home/home_phone/New_phone_line_installation.taf?exref=599645 as an example.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

and they renewed my contract

Sorry, don't they HAVE to write and tell you they are going to renew the contract ?
From BT's terms and conditions...
         * Renewable contract – you must take the calling plan for an initial minimum period of 12 months. At the end of the initial and any subsequent 12 month minimum period, the contract will be automatically renewed for a further 12 month minimum period unless you tell us otherwise before the renewal date. We will write to you at least a month before the renewal date to remind you of this. If you decide not to renew a renewable contract but continue to use the calling plan, you will be charged at the uncontracted rate for that calling plan.

Edit Biker types faster than me...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: steve74
@jameseh,just had a long chat with bt and they renewed my contract on the 5th of august and my plusnet order was not put to them till the 14th so ive broken a renewed 12 month contract,after your advisement of me mentioning ive moved from retail to retail basically the guy was having none of it Angry

Did you get a letter, (or any contact0 from BT prior to Aug 5th regarding the renewal of your contract?  
If I remember my last renewal was advised by letter, that if I wanted to change to another tariff or make any changes to the contract period, etc etc, then I had to contact them, otherwise the present contract would be renewed on XX /XX/ XXXX for the next 18 months  (or whatever it was)...
If you did not get this letter, then I think you may have a case ..... try having a word with trading standards at your local council offices....  
To be a "contract" means "agreement of terms by both parties"....  
the wording of the letter mentioned above, implies that if you do not contact them, then the contract is acceptable, on its present terms, and will be renewed automatically.....
so if you got the letter, and did not do anything about it, then the assumption can be that you agreed.....
(you may have a problem proving you did not receive the letter !)
itsme
Grafter

I got the letter that shutter mentioned above when my automatically renewing contract was due. Between the letter and renewal date I received a quarterly bill which did not have the discount that the 12 month contract should have given me.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yes i got that letter,how ever i assumed that moving my phone off to plusnet this would of informed bt that i didnt want it renewed,i thought my contract ended around the time i moved to plusnet which was the 14th,can bt however prove that i DID get this letter?my post has been known to go walkies,the guy i spoke to did say though that when you first sign up you do agree to a reneweable contract every 12 months unless they are notified,my fault?im not sure,maybe it is but i thought i was doing the right thing the way i went about it
Fixes: 125

I think these renawable contracts are just plain wrong. It leaves the owness on the customer far too much and, with people often so busy and the state of our postal service, it can easily be overlooked.
A great way for BT to keep the funds coming in, though Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Lurker
Grafter

Plusnet used to have them on business accounts.
They listened to us (the customers) and scrapped them.
Just need BT to do the same now (no hope!).
mentalist3d
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Openreach does the work but any telecom provider can do a new line if they so wish. PN has been known to do especially on a home move.
https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/home/home_phone/New_phone_line_installation.taf?exref=599645 as an example.

Thanks for the info itsme  Smiley