Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Axe benefits for rioters - ePetition

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Axe benefits for rioters - ePetition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14474429
The most signed e-petition on the No 10 website is one calling for convicted rioters to lose benefit payments.
"No taxpayer should have to contribute to those who have destroyed property, stolen from their community and shown a disregard for the country that provides for them," the petition argues.
The petition, which had 78,000 signatures at 5pm, will be referred to the backbench business committee of MPs if it gets 100,000 signatures.

I've just tried to visit the ePetitions website and got the attached. Looks like the numbers of people trying to sign this petition is more than the website can take!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
71 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Axe benefits for rioters - ePetition

Just seen the petition and signed it.
Community Veteran

Timing out for me now the same as it did for jelv.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
nadger
Rising Star

Just spent a few minutes trying but there's obviously a high demand - with try later.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Axe benefits for rioters

Are all rioters to be supplied with a free axe?  Grin Grin Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yup! can't get on it to sign up either.
I wonder though, taking it through to a point that benefits are cut for rioters -always assuming it could be done anyway- if it would raise the crime levels as the now completely destitute start to try to get money and goods from other (illegal) means. Walking the streets in some areas might become a (more) seriously dangerous undertaking.
Don't know what that answer is but, actually cutting benefits might be self defeating.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Don't know what that answer is but, actually cutting benefits might be self defeating.

I completely agree with you, however id rather have my tax-pounds keeping them in prison, rather than keeping them in their own homes where they can become a problem to society.
It also might prompt some people to actually *try* to look for work, rather than looking briefly - nothing hits them in the face and they give up.
Petitions site is still down Sad seems to be affecting other direct.gov pages occassionally too!  Grin
Regards

edit:
Number of signatures:

That went up from 94,000 in the time it took the page to load the actual petition!!  Shocked
Shame it says "London" rioters, rather than just UK Looters/Rioters
Cutting red tape initiative? anyone with an hour or so to burn can leave comments on many regulations... seems to be lot sof common sense being written there!!
nadger
Rising Star

When I tried, and failed, there were about 95,000 signatures so not far to 100,000 needed to be referred to MPs.
Whilst I doubt that anything will actually happen it'll at least help quantify the disgust that most of us feel about recent events.
David_W
Rising Star

I do see the problem with this, if it comes into effect (and I hope it does!) then the people affected won't be able to get a job.  Apart from the fact they burnt down lots of businesses where they could find work they will also have a criminal record and I doubt anyone would employ someone who partook in these riots.
A more elegant solution would be to cut their benefits by 25-40% with the money saved being spent instead on recompense.  Under the riot act apparently insurance companies and private companies can claim from the police the costs of this riot so with £100m damages, that has to come from the police budget (if I read the article right) so the rioters should be forced to pay for the damages rather than the tax payer.
matt_2k34
Grafter

I believe the police themselves have to refer to it as a "riot" for that to happen David, apart from one slip on the website (the met police site had /riotsuspects/ rather than /disordersuspects/) this hasnt happened (they've used 'Looters' and 'disorder' or 'unrest')
Cutting by half would also be feasible Wink or they could just review it on a case-by-case basis, look at how much outgoings they have, and if they have SKY/broadband/phoneline/mobile phone packages - cut the benefits by this amount. Tada Cheesy
Regards
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@ David W. You may have unwittingly opened another can of worms that has hardly been mentioned yet...insurance. Are the victims covered for their total losses; (my heart goes out to the hundreds of years old furniture business owner in Croydon) would it have made a difference if the "Riot Act" had been read. We call it riots but, in many cases it is "merely" distrubance. Playing with words perhaps but, very different in law.
I suppose we can all look forward to a hike in our insurance premiums to cover the poor hard hit insurance companies payouts.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I've just listened to the PM speak in Parliament.  He gave an excellent speech and addressed a lot of the problems raised here.
It was made clear the Exchequer will fund extra monies for policing, rebuilding, rehousing etc and would not come out of existing budgets. 
mentalist3d
Grafter

What proof is there that everyone who is rioting is on benefits?
Community Veteran

If it children and their parents are on benefits then they are the ones whose benefits should be stopped.
I would also sack anyone who was currently employed and found guilty of being involved.
Seems some Police committee a re to investigate a video of some rioter in Manchester being given a few belts with a Police Baton. I would get the committee itself rigged out in protection gear and get them to face the mob instead of investigating the Police. Anyone involved in rioting deserves a good beating from a Police truncheon, for far tooo long we have pussyfooted around this problem and we now need to tackle it fast.
Community Veteran

I Can't get on to vote either, what time does voting end or does it automatically end when the 100,000 figure is reached ?