cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful floods in Madeira

jmd
Grafter

Awful floods in Madeira

The pictures of the devastion the floods have caused in Madeira reminded me of the beautiful week I had there 3 yrs ago at this time.  The carnival was wonderful and although some days were cloudy we had sunshine most of week.  The Hotel was very good and we had lovely food.  The scenery is spectacular and the flowers are beautiful.e
The Madeirans are  lovely people and very much into giving good service and making sure guests are happy.  The previous time I had visited was about 10 yrs before and since then the roads/infrastructure had improved enormously due to EU money.  However, there was still a lot of poverty in the inland villages up in the mountain valleys.
I feel very sorry that the place has had such a awful time with these unusual storms [they expect rain that is why island is so green but not so much] and yet I am sure that the damage will be dealt with and that folk there can get back to normal.
The News mentioned the tourism - although is a good part of life there is is not the total - there is agriculture etc.  It also mentioned that families were holidaying there for half term - however it is not a place for children - there are no beaches.  It is a place to go for a restful and enjoyable holiday though.