cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awesome

geewizz
Grafter

Awesome

When you think of the stars and realise that all the ones we can see are just in our own galaxy and that they are so far away and then you try to imagine that there are more galaxies, with more stars, even further away, and you try to contemplate how small our world is and how tiny we are in relation to the universe and you get depressed at the insignificance of your very existence, and then someone says that so-and-so is "awesome" and you punch them for being so inappropriate and you realise that, in the grand scheme of things it's really nothing, then you try to explain that to a jury, twelve of your peers, who haven't really considered the whole first bit, .,.. that's when you really get a proper perspective again.
17 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Awesome

You really do need to get out more Geewizz Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

What I always think is fascinating about star-gazing is the fact that you are, quite literally, looking back in time.

Trust Thomas to come out with a sensible response to a nonsensical thread....therefore
Look at the Sun and you're looking back in time 8 minutes Smiley
Edit: Don't try this at home... Smiley
Community Veteran

Sorry. Sad
But anyway, I was thinking about things on a bigger scale than that... the light from the faintest stars you see can be several thousand years old; it's quite possible to actually therefore be looking at stars that don't even exist any more. Which is quite a strange notion...

My sense of wonder has not diminished with advancing years....quite the contrary Shocked
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I was half looking at The Stars at night earlier, they were talking about a "galaxy"? explosion seen in 1841 that is just starting to have effects here, dont ask me what else
a) i am  not an astromoner
b) I was waiting for another program to come on
c) I was just starting a cup of coffee
SCIENTIFIC DOCUMENTARY: The Sky at Night
On: BBC 2 East (2)   
Date: Saturday 8th November 2008 (Already shown)
Time: 14:00 to 14:20 (20 minutes long)
Big Bangs.
The world of astronomy. Gamma ray bursts are some of the largest explosions in the universe, and Sir Patrick Moore discovers how some of these monstrous events mark the spectacular deaths of the first stars. Also, Dr Chris Lintott visits the NASA Phoenix team fo find out the latest from the Mars Polar explorer.
(Stereo, Repeat, Widescreen, Subtitles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=17639
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
N/A

Agree, it is awesome. I quite like these sites:
http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx
http://hubblesite.org/
http://heritage.stsci.edu/gallery/gallery.html
Sometimes use the beautiful graphics for my desktop.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

If you're at all interested in astronomy but lack experience a telescope or both, you should try to obtain a copy of a book by Patrick Moore called "Naked Eye Astronomy" sadly this has been out of print for years, but its still possible to get S/H copies through the good offices of Amazon, I replaced my long lost copy as recently as this year with an ex-library copy.
As is usual with Patrick Moore, he has a knack of reducing a very complex subject into language that is both interesting and easily readable, he can appear a bit of a buffoon at times, but rest assured he knows his subject very very well indeed. Heather Couper (who has appeared on "Sky at Night" with PM occasionally) is another author worth reading
These however are for you if your interest is "pricked" by the beautiful photographs that appear in the links included in this thread. Try googling "Palomar" for information and photographs related to what was until fairly recently the worlds largest telescope (the 200" Hale telescope at Palomar) again, if this interests you, back to Amazon, for a copy of (new) "The Perfect Machine" which documents in an eminently readable way the history and building of this fabulous piece of engineering.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Here is another site worth knowing about if your interest in astronomy is piqued
http://www.slooh.com/
Granted you have to pay to use it, but you can have complete control over the telescope. I know of a few friends in the USA who use it and have some cracking photos from it.

CB
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A twice monthly podcast for anyone interested in astronomy.
http://www.jodcast.net/

...and of course you can use Google Earth to view the star fields.
Community Veteran

This must now be the most sensible thread that's ever resulted from a post by geewizz. Huh

Thomas I'm surprised at you. How could you say such a thing about a fellow Bright Spark and a fine upstanding member of the community to boot.
It is a good thread though Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Yes, it is nice, but then astronomy even at a basic level is a nice pastime, if cold sometimes. You don't need a vast number of expensive instruments to enjoy it, just a dark night well away from street lights, a comfortable deck-chair, a few minutes for your eyes to adjust and you can lose yourself in the sheer majesty of the stars and planets. Even a modest pair if binoculars will increase many fold the number of stars you can see. Learning your way around the constellations is not that difficult with practice.
And...it should be remembered that astronomy is one of if not the only science where rank amateurs can make really important contributions.   
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.