cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Award Winning Customer service ?

AlfTupper

Award Winning Customer service ?

This is what Plusnet have on their website:

"The Plusnet Customer Service Centre operates in Sheffield and Leeds and is responsible for delivering the award-winning customer service that Plusnet’s known for."

I wonder what award that was?

8 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Award Winning Customer service ?

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/awards/

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

just goes to show you that the awards are hokum.
if moneysupermarket thinks plusnet have award winning customer service then you have to wonder who came bottom of their list!
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

I don't have a problem with the customer service I have received in the past. I have always had a polite and helpful answer to any queries I've had, be it in Chat, Phone or even on the forums. I'm happy with the service so far and cannot throw any faults at PN at all. I'm not saying that things could change in the future, but for now all is fine.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

that's the thing though, being polite and helpful should be the basic for a CS, that doesn't make it award winning.
award winning suggest that they go above and beyond and are better then everyone else.
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quite true, but I came over from TalkTalk and believe me, PN's customer service is way better.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

chenks76 wrote:
that's the thing though, being polite and helpful should be the basic for a CS, that doesn't make it award winning.
award winning suggest that they go above and beyond and are better then everyone else.

the key part there is "should be" it isn't even close for the majority there unhelpful and would rather pass you round the houses and if you don't just give up and hang up on the useless service then you get accused of being irate and needing to cool off before they hang up..

that changes if you miraculously get through to technical services who tend to have a clue what there talking about but even so are also prone to being unhelpful with things like " your not using the piece of junk we provided you with so I'm afraid we cant help you"..... PlusNet's CS team might tell you they cant help with non standard router's but they will still go through the various line tests they can do and be cheerful and polite while there at it, and whilst we might reasonably expect that to be the case by default sadly it isn't... 

so whilst we might be aware that their service has changed over the years as their customer base has expanded and been lacklustre in some cases there still providing a better service experience than any of their large competitors (and yes I'm aware that some of the smaller companies are often better, but then they have smaller customer base and tend to have only technical people running the helpdesk because they cant afford non techy people just to run the helpline and screen out the non tech calls from the tech desk, often due to their small customer base) 

its all swings and roundabouts some times all you need is a non tech person advising you to do simple things like unplug the router and microfilter switch everything off for a few minutes and switch it back on (or power cycle everything) and magically its back to working again (because like all computers routers need restarting from time to time....) and a more involved solution provided by the technical team... so if you load the customer service department with folks who know nothing but the flip cards in front of them (on day one) and ensure they understand that the calls are being recorded and to follow the script with a smile on their face all day then your more likely to have happy customers ...... it also means you can have more customers although it helps if you grab a bunch more CS staff before you start expanding your customer base that requires capital investment up front and if you don't generate the custoemers your just wasting money so the lag between growth and in consumer base and staffing size gives the appearance of "standards slipping" and then getting better which also means you get to keep receiving awards for best improved and overall best and so on in your category, even if the reality is different....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I've retained one business account with PlusNet, largely due to inertia, but every other business account I've moved over to Zen. The primary reason for this was not price, nor was it reliability. I've no problem with the politeness of the Help Desk assistance. What triggered my move away was the expectation that I'd be spending a long time in a call queue when I'd the occasion to call PN Help Desk.  The decision was cemented when they continued to debit my account after it was closed, apparently this was "unavoidable".

The length of time spent in a support call queue is the direct consequence of the PN management decision to have insufficient levels of manpower on the help desk.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

yeah well the staffing levels lagging so far behind is a problem that there manipulating to win the awards.... they expand over the Christmas period in customer numbers having won the awards in the late autumn period, then they boost the staffing numbers just in time to win the awards the following year....... rinse and repeat, never mind that they could quite feasibly add those extra staff numbers by the end of winter instead of waiting nearly 6 months to look at it, and they don't need to be quite so aggressive in acquiring new customers every year either......

of course that goes hand in hand with them maximising profit margins to afford the next aggressive customer grab the following year ....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you