Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid this if you have a headache.

clockley
Grafter

Avoid this if you have a headache.

http://www.jaminsmith.co.uk/?p=26
Weird.  and really isn't helping my headache!
24 REPLIES
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Avoid this if you have a headache.

How strange. I have it spinning both ways, but I still don't believe it! Shame I don't have ImageReady installed, the first thing I tried to do was load it up and go through the animation frame by frame Tongue
James
Grafter

I get the same with our Angel Chimes at Xmas.
mkrzywinski

I had it spinning both ways too. It is pretty weird. I also tried thinking about it hard enough to have it spin one way and then another, but that didnt work out too well. Only strained my brain.
Community Veteran

Clockwise to start but managed to spin her the other way eventually. To do so I scroll the page down so it just shows the foot and calf spinning then try to get it spinning the other way then scroll up to see the whole picture.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Want to try an even more confusing one? Open one instance of the page in 1 tab, and then open it again in another tab with a cache refresh (CTRL + F5 kind). Swap between them and you see one moving one way, and one the other, then they are the same, then swap over, and do all sorts!
Community Veteran

Hmm. Someone pointed to this in #Usertools IRC last night, and I found it quite intriguing because I immediately saw it as moving clockwise, despite being someone who likes things ground in logic (although I am also 'artistic' to a certain extent)... but then, when I'd look away and look back at it, I'd see it as moving anti-clockwise instead, and so on.
So, I've had a little bit of a think about it - and I believe all it is is a matter of timing. Allow me to explain - it's a simple idea but hard to describe in words, but I'll try my best. The fact the spinning figure is a silhouette means that no front or back features of the figure can be distinguished - the only things you can see are the features of the figure's side profile. This is very important, because without this the whole thing wouldn't work.
This means that, if you break things down, the looping animation is consisted of these components:

• Full body

• Movement from centre to right

• Movement from right to centre

• Full body

• Movement from centre to left

• Movement from left to centre

Note that because, as I explained in the first paragraph, the full body shots are featureless, you cannot tell whether or not you're looking at the front or back of the figure.
Now, if we simplify the above list even further, we get:

• Full body

• Spinning via right

• Full body

• Spinning via left

As you will see, that would seem to describe a clockwise motion. But if we take the above list, and start with the third item down rather than the first...

• Full body

• Spinning via left

• Full body

• Spinning via right

...hey presto, there's your anti-clockwise spinning figure.
See, told you I had a logical mind. Wink
TomP
Grafter

Clockwise, no other way.
alanb
Grafter

I think it's a bit of a con, I can make it go in either direction. I agree with Be3G, it's just a matter of timing and nothing to do with right/left brain activity.
But if you really want a headache, try focussing on another part of your screen and watch it with your peripheral vision - when I do that it keeps changing direction.
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: alanb
I think it's a bit of a con, I can make it go in either direction.

Weird.  I watched it for about 10 minutes (end of a very long day!) and to me it seems that it does actually go in one direction, then it goes in another, sometimes after a long break, sometimes after a short one.
ie very clever editing but actually nothing to do with the "observer".
I could be wrong, of course Smiley
Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I thought that, but I think it's pretty different time-wise whenever I watch it. It's only a GIF, so it can't be made turn at a random time, only preset movements in the frames. I quite like Be3G's post, Although I haven't watched it enough to agree or disagree Tongue
Community Veteran

You don't need to watch it lots - just think about it a bit. Also note that when it's spinning anti-clockwise the left leg's the one that's stuck out, and vice-versa. Which shows what I mean about the silhouette relying on the fact that you can't tell the front of the figure from the back.
To be fair though, I'm not saying that there's nothing to do with left/right brains involved in this at all; I'm just saying that overall it comes down to timing - which, of course, could be affected by the brain 'side'. For example, note that 'spatial perception' is listed as one of the attributes to right-sided brain activity... so maybe if you have a right-sided brain, your 'spatial perception' allows you to cotton on to what's going on quicker, which therefore means you see it as clockwise? (Note that in the GIF the figure starts moving to the right first, which would immediately suggest clockwise motion.) I'm completely speculating with that of course, but I'm just saying that my assertion that what's going on is timing-based doesn't necessarily discredit the notion of different sides of the brain affecting our perception of it.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

If I look at it she's going clockwise.  When I start to focus on the text below it I have her going anti-clockwise!
Phil
pcoventry76
Grafter

All clockwsise for me - i wonder if this is linked to which hand you right with? im a righty wife can see it other way and shes a lefty
Girl just tried to breakdance to me - but it must be the amount of sauce i consumed over the past 24 hours, along with some reet bad jokes!  Grin
clockley
Grafter

Yeah, sorry bout those  Grin