cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average UK Electricity use of 3,2kWpa I guess I'm not average then.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Average UK Electricity use of 3,2kWpa I guess I'm not average then.

Just got my leccy bill from E.on this morning and in 91 days I've used 1794kWh this then means I use twice the average, and looking back at the old bills this figure is my average. I must be doing something wrong, considering I've got GCH!

18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Average UK Electricity use of 3,2kWpa I guess I'm not average then.

You like your computer huh  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I reckon about 4K in Electric use. My gas is lower than standard, so it balances out. (even though my boiler is >20yr old)
Fixes: 47

On electricity I'm averaging around 309KWh over each of the past 3 months
February 305.5
March 319.24
April 303.6
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up

I do like my toys that has to be said, but the rack in the garage is Off and has been since I got my 24 Core server in an attempt to reduce its eating habit of nearly 2KWph!
I don't know what my KW is for the gas, unless I get the calculator out but moneywise I'm £1.8K PA by DD!
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

my average usage over the last 3 years was 24kwh/day and my bill was telling me the average household is about 26kwh/day so I use about 600kwh less than the average until the bill I received a month ago that is now trying to tell me my monthly usage is equivalent to the average household's annual consumption .... me thinks something fishy happened to the way they work out the consumer average /
there just numbers they put in a box and somewhere a computer has developed a database error, likely the same one Scottish power uses to handle consumers leaving them that creates fictitious contract transfers and raises cancelation charges, its been 3 months and they still haven't fixed that problem yet .......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Well I got my average figure from the back of my bill and Ofgem is cited as the source.
nanotm
Pro

well its not hard to work out that the average fridge freezer uses 2kwh/day (obviously a brand new one wont use much over the stated 1.25kwh but older ones do), microwave + kettle + tv + settop box + mains adaptors +  central heating system, your already at or over the other 6kwh a day and that's without having an electic oven or kitchen appliance or indeed a pc, all of which hover up those kwh's at a rate of knots, and that totally ignores using lights or power losses across the wiring (which in older properties can be as much as 0.5kwh per day)
so either they used the lowest average annual consumer usage to make the numbers or there are a lot of empty houses in the country using virtually zero power
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

http://energyusecalculator.com/index.htm
I put my old PC on a power monitor plug, it used the best part of 150W running normal tasks, I recently built a new one using good (efficient) components ('80Plus Gold' PSU in particular) and the new one consumes less than 40W (excluding monitor), it also seems faster for surfing / office and similar tasks (this one isn't used for gaming and uses the Intel HD graphics onboard).
All my lights (except garage) are now LED between 1.5 and 5W for most areas (some are multiple of these Wattages), recon I've saved a bit there but we always seem to have 'a million' power adapters / phone chargers etc. plugged in whether being used or not, no idea how much that's adding to my bill.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nanotm
Pro

yeah every time I replace something that sucks in huge amounts of power like the old freezer it seems half a dozen new gadgets appear and all use up the difference, and the kids are a nightmare of never turning anything off
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I find there is a point at which it is just not time vs cost effective. I work on anything taking <10W (on) I just leave on.
@10W it is about £2/year to run, vs hours tracking it down.
Things like my "server" a Dell Dimension 9200 that used to be my main pc, is running 24/7 doing various tasks, and acting as a media server, takes between 30-80W. That is the most "thirsty" I have running 24/7.
I have 2 Android media boxes that run 24/7 taking <6W each. The freeview box takes 9W. TV is 0.5W on standby.
nanotm
Pro

When I say never turning things off literally mean the tv is on, the laptop is on the console is on, the side and main room lights are on, and they have been out playing in the park for a few hours, or worse gone away for the weekend and left it like that, then have the temerity to moan that it all got switched to off
I don't think very many things actually get the switch on the wall flicked or unplugged, aside from a few kitchen appliaces and gadgets which live away from the worktop......
Lifes to short to break asweat doing the"power saving" nonsense unless we will be away for several days (and then I just through the breakers as the fridge n freezer are on a separate ring)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Mook
Quote from: 7up

I do like my toys that has to be said, but the rack in the garage is Off and has been since I got my 24 Core server in an attempt to reduce its eating habit of nearly 2KWph!

24 cores?  Shocked I thought i was doing well with our latest machine that has 8 cores (two quad core proccys)! 16Gb ram - DDR2 but still very good for our needs.
What on earth do you do with 24 cores? - I'm guessing you're not running Windows lol although i suppose with that amount of power running it virtually isn't a problem lol
I barely manage to use 5.5Gb of ram on this machine.. and thats with a VM running xp in the background lol
No idea what we use leccy wise but since this 8 core came along the leccy bill has gone up (roughly double  Lips are sealed). I now put it to sleep every evening when i go to bed as i simply cannot justify to the missus leaving it on 24/7
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

It's not the fastest PC in the world but runs vmWare 5 and has 6 Virtual Machines with ease, and used for mathematical solving. With my 'main' PC a fanless job with an i7-4765T CPU @2.00GHz and 16GB RAM and x64 Win 8.1
Marksfish
Grafter

Use about 13kWh per day. but we do have solar panels to relieve some of the costs. In the summer, our panels produce about 16kWh per day, could do with a good (cost effective) storage facility now.
Mark