cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avast.. Do you use it and have problems?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Avast.. Do you use it and have problems?

I've been using avast for moons but every now and then the pesky thing decides to go belly up and start playing tricks on my computer. It will nag you senseless about an upgrade and often screw it up or it will just start playing other tricks - such as freezing my computer.
Just lately however it's sprung a new one on me that I really didn't expect. It's started interfering with my network connections to shared folders on the network. Files that would normally take seconds to access suddenly take 3-4 minutes. Thats if windows explorer can even view them after freezing for a minute or two!
So, anyone else out there suffering the same frustrations?
Note to mods: I know this really belongs in the software forum but I figured I'd get more replies here in chit chat.. I beg you.. please leave it here!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
9 REPLIES
Razer
Grafter

Re: Avast.. Do you use it and have problems?

Yeah, I have.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

TANSTAAFL = AVAST
Tried AVAST once and hated what it did to the PC, prefer Kaspersky even though it cost about £30 a year to protect our PC's
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

I have used Avast free ever since I had my laptop (because it had Win 7 in it). It seems to have caught everything so far and updates itself twice a day. It can be a bit temperamental if it decides to ask you to upgrade and acquire all sorts of additional  associated programs. I got over this by deleting the lot and downloaded the free version again, it has not bothered me again.
Community Veteran

Quote from: colintivy
I got over this by deleting the lot and downloaded the free version again, it has not bothered me again.

This seems to be a common understanding amongst avast users for some reason. I find it hard to believe that this is accidental on avasts part as they clearly know what they are doing yet everyone who uses the free version ends up suffering from a crippled system at upgrade time.
My recent hassle was that I couldn't get files off a network share. This would normally take seconds yet yesterday was taking minutes per file. This can't be an accident, there must be some code in there that tells the network shield to sleep for x seconds while scanning files.
All I know is that it's becoming increasingly frustrating. They seem to release a new version of the program every month and then you have to go through it all again.
Razer
Grafter

I haven't updated my program since my linked to thread above. Clearing up the mess I reinstated the last 7x version and just carry on with virus definition updates. My intention was to wait a while for them to sort themselves out, but judging by your post they still haven't done that. That aside, I am getting sick of daily being prompted to update the program.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Been using Avast Free for a couple of years now.... no problems like those listed above....
yeah, it updates twice a day...
Yeah, it seems to hold up the "Boot Time"... but then I`m usually getting my breakfast while it does that, so no problem...
as for the "pester" adverts/popups, I just ignore them.... What do you expect from a "free" servic e? ? ?  Roll eyes
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Was using avast a year or so back, it was free and once I'd sussed out that turning on gaming mode would stop it from announcing 'VIRUS DATABASE HAS BEEN UPDATED' (and coincidentally making me jump out of my skin each time) I was happy... until it started slowing things down. Been using Microsoft Security Essentials since then and it's great, I'd recommend it to anyone Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
as for the "pester" adverts/popups, I just ignore them.... What do you expect from a "free" servic e? ? ?  Roll eyes

Thats not the point I'm making shutter. The point I'm making is that just coping a file from A => B goes from taking seconds to taking minutes, can cripple your system so you can't even log in and other times cripple it so you don't even get to the login screen.
I'm not moaning about the day to day usage, I find it very good for that it's when it decides that it's upgrade time that hell breaks loose.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Ah Well,.... Not had any problems like you mention...  Wink