Re: Autumn Arrives

Watt is NIMBYS?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not in my back yard - that sort of peeople
Community Veteran

Yes - the sort of people who move into an area that they think looks nice, ( they are then the incomers to all the more established residents ) and then when someone wants to build something new / change something - like maintenance on trees that always happened in the past and they then complain.
They don't want these to happen in their back yard - but they are happy for it to happen in someone else's back yard.
Community Veteran

Not In My Back Yard  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Its the same NIMBY's who try to dictate airport development amongst other things.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
techguy
Grafter

NiMBY = Not In My BackYard
geewizz
Grafter

What does NIMBY stand for?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Try this one Phil
or move out of the city next to a church and then complain tto the Environmental Health that the church bells wake them up on Sunday morning
Community Veteran

Quote from: geofftswin
Not sure, but our Autumn timetable commenced on 28th September.  All they do is run 3 minutes earlier from Reading - Virginia Water, then pick up the usual timetable.  In reverse, they run the normal timetable, apart from a 3 minute extra to go from Earley - Reading. 
Given that this is done to avoid delays to the journeys, why do they not run like this all year?  It has no impact on any other routes/services as far as I can tellk

I'm glad they don't. Up until a few months ago I was using that line for 3-4 return journeys a week, and I was often annoyed by the slack South West Trains had already infused within the timetable to act as padding for delays. Many a time I sat on a train at Staines station which wasn't moving for a few minutes because it had arrived 'early'. My journey involved some connections in London - connections which would have been made easier for me if SWT's services actually ran at full speed rather than pausing all the time... and what annoys me is that they now have no incentive to tighten up the 'slackness' of the timetable because, of course, all of the padding means they can advertise that their trains are nearly always on time etc. etc. whilst what it means for the passengers is journeys that're often slower than they could be.
Oh well. Rant over. On a more pleasant and topical note, I came across this audio slideshow about autumn on the BBC site earlier which people might enjoy.
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Try this one Phil
or move out of the city next to a church and then complain tto the Environmental Health that the church bells wake them up on Sunday morning

That is a common one -
can't for the life of me understand how people can look at a property and not notice a church tower nearby.
It's part of the English landscape.
But up here in Scotland - not so common.
A bit windy up here for the last 48 hours - very autumnal