cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autumn Arrives

geewizz
Grafter

Autumn Arrives

Yellow carpets herald the onset of autumn. Leaves twist and turn in flocks and mark out the movement of the swirling winds like points on a 3D computer map. I kick up the piles of fallen leaves huddled up against the stone wall on the bridge and watch them take flight. The clouds are billowing across the flat blue sky, hurrying to keep an appointment with a rain shower somewhere to the east.
Trees bow to greet me as I goosestep over the bridge. "Morning, Phil, morning, Phil", they creak above the noise of another rush of wind. A wet leaf kisses my cheek in passing. I really should have worn trousers.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Autumn Arrives

That was really quite poetic geewizz, until the last line...
Other than that, I really think autumn is my favorite time of year.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
jmd
Grafter

Holly [the Cairn terier] loves going for walks at present - she keeps towing me behind her as she chases the leaves!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@geewizz ref: OP, I'd quite forgotten you were from north of Hadrians Wall, so you may well not have been wearing trousers (troo's) and would certainly know more about cold winds than us Sassenachs!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
greyposter
Grafter

Autumn comes,leaves all a quiver,so I'm off down the pub to thrash my liver.
Community Veteran

Very poetic  geewizz Smiley
but where have you been - officially we've been in autumn since 1st Sept  Wink
yes the gales are blowing leaves all over the place
the railways have had the "anti-leaves on the line units" washing tracks every day for several weeks,

gswindale
Grafter

although the train companies were late with their Autumn timetable - started 3 weeks late, but what do we expect from the railway network?
Community Veteran

Why do people always knock the railways  Grin
pbower

What do we expect from the rail networks?  More delays  Tongue (to be fair they have improved though)
Autumn is a fab time of year, I take my dogs out to the Lady Bower/Derwent dam's in Derbyshire and the countryside there looks awesome at this time of year with all of the golden colours.  Plus, I have to amit to bringing back my childhood and kicking through the leaves that have fallen to the ground.
Community Veteran

Round here ("leafy Bucks") the railway/tube (Chiltern/Met Line) has been running it's Leaf Fall Timetable for a few weeks now.
There are some stretches where steep gradients in deep cuttings through woodland make it a nightmare for them. The tubes are worse as they're not heavy enough to totally crush wet leaves out of the way, but even the trains struggle despite special "de-leafing" trains.
Apparently crushed leaves on steel rails produce an incredibly hard and shiny film that's extremely difficult to remove.  Crazy
filbower

Who would have thought that leafs would be able to put up such a good fight?  Tube trains look like fairly heavy trains but I appreciate that the standard national rail trains would be much larger and heavier.  Is there not enough friction from the train on the line that would remove the leaves?
gswindale
Grafter

Not sure, but our Autumn timetable commenced on 28th September.  All they do is run 3 minutes earlier from Reading - Virginia Water, then pick up the usual timetable.  In reverse, they run the normal timetable, apart from a 3 minute extra to go from Earley - Reading. 
Given that this is done to avoid delays to the journeys, why do they not run like this all year?  It has no impact on any other routes/services as far as I can tellk
Community Veteran

Quote from: filbower
Is there not enough friction from the train on the line that would remove the leaves?

Apparently not, we've even had detailed articles in the local papers explaining what happens, but basically they turn into an almost diamond-hard and very slippery film that provides no grip to steel wheels.
My wife has actually been on a tube that started sliding backwards! And another that overshot the station as it couldn't stop.
techguy
Grafter

If he thinks the trees are creaking at him than wearing a kilt instrad of trousers should be the least of his worries  Grin
Community Veteran

In the bad old days of course - we had steam engines - and they regularly set fire to the embankments and cuttings, so no trees grew with 50 - 100 feet of the railway - so they never had this problem.
Now we have NIMBYS complain if Network rail cut down "their" local trees.  Huh