cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Opted In

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Automatically Opted In

Anyone else find being automatically opted in to stuff worse than being automatically opted out. Who started this? I just got a letter from local council that they will dish out my phone number to an independent research company unless I opt out either over the phone or by email. Needless to say they were told rather bluntly to opt me out for now and forever in a short but brief email.

25 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Automatically Opted In

It's just like those damn auto renewals on insurance and the like.

You end up wasting time having to phone up and tell the company not to.

I did save some time the other day when an insurance company phoned me up over some offer and I took the opportunity of telling them what to do with their auto renewal.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Winds me up so it does, handing out phone numbers to other people when my house phone is ex directory. Still least I got a heads up. 

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

You think that's bad, here in Wales we are automatically opted in for organ donation and whilst I have no issue with donation, I would like to be asked first. I could opt out of course but, I would like to be asked or at very least have given prior permission.

I wonder if there is a rubber bracelet type thingy that reads "don't take without permission", "I'm not dead yet y'know!", or "Selfish git, leave him burn". 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Minivanman
Hero

A heads up, like this you mean? Smiley

IMG_20170421_0002_NEW.jpg

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Minivanman Are you automatically opted in to organ donation in Wales? if no one has a clue if they are or not I thought their family gets asked their wishes.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I'm all for being broken for spares at the end of my life, if bits of me could help others when I'm brown bread then that can only be good news. I'd be up for a default op-in here in Scotland, but I am registered with the Organ Donor peeps anyway.

Minivanman
Hero

@Steve

"If you haven’t recorded an organ donation decision (opt in or opt out) on the NHS Organ Donation Register, you will be treated as having no objection to donating any of your organs. This is called "deemed consent".

http://organdonationwales.org/?skip=1&lang=en

Minivanman
Hero

@Mook

As am I Mook although at the age of seventy I doubt that I have anything to offer even if I wanted to but, it was all a question of consent.

In one moment of reflection and after my mother died (I was keeping a spare for her) I did consider donating one of my kidneys to whoever wanted it but it seems that having passed having 60 nobody did.

See, some things you cannot even give away!

PS @Steve sorry, this seems to be hijacking your topic. Sad 

Steve
Seasoned Pro

You are not hijacking my topic, automatically opt in comes in many disguises.

Community Veteran

It is a question of consent absolutely but being opted in, by default, to a scheme that could save, or enhance someonelse’s life in the event of one’s demise surely has to be a good thing.

If everyone is made aware of this scheme then the onus is on the individual to opt out, and as you hinted at earlier a wrist band or necklace could be worn to notify those that you’re not to be taken to the breakers yard after your death.

Steve
Seasoned Pro

@Mook I thought that was already coming to Scotland?

Minivanman
Hero

@Mook

"It is a question of consent absolutely but being opted in, by default, to a scheme that could save, or enhance someonelse’s life in the event of one’s demise surely has to be a good thing"

I hear what you are saying but it does sound a lot like 'for the greater good' argument if I may say so and yes, it may for a good thing but what should carry more weight, consent or presumption? 

Community Veteran

@Steve - Really, I didn't know that.

@Minivanman - To be honest consent, but at least with presumption there is the opportunity to help, when there is no relative available to provide (or deny) consent.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

I carry a donor card where I'm required to enter the name of my next-of-kin.  As I understand it they always seek the next-of-kin's permission which I think is wrong.  Time is obvioulsy critical in many of these situations, and some people's next-of-kin may have views other than those of the donor, and refuse permission.

@Minivanman  Don't assume that your organs are too old to be of use; there was a case on one of those TV medical documentaries where the heart from a 50-year old woman was found to be in pristine condition and an ideal match for the recipient.  An alcoholic's liver would probably not be of use, but his corneas might give someone much improved eyesight.