cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic transmission

Fixes: 124

Automatic transmission

The courtesy car we have been given is an automatic and I have never driven one before. I assume it's just a case of putting into Drive, is there anything else I should be aware of?
There is an M position. A google search indicates that I can put into the M position then select a gear over which the tramsion will not go i.e. select 2 and transmission will be restricted to first and second gears only. Have I read that correctly?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

87 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Automatic transmission

Keep your left foot tucked well out of the way.
If you normally drive a manual car the instinct to use your left foot can be difficult to control. Embarrassed
If you think an automatic car is a problem I once hired a small van with reverse gear where first normally is and that really caused me some issues.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
sjptd
Grafter

Always keep your left foot planted firmly on the floor away from the pedals.  It's easy for automatic reaction to set in when you think you need a gear change and to use it (hard) on what the foot thinks is the clutch but is actually the brake.
Always use P when you are parked; you may have to if there is an interlock so you can't turn off the engine or remove the key unless you do.
sjptd
Grafter

At one time we didn't have a car and rented fairly often; each one a bit different.  I always made a few minor silly mistakes in the first few minutes, but one time I was flagged down by the police after about 1/2 a mile.  I knew I had made a could of mistakes but couldn't think what could justify that.  The a rather red-faced policeman came to my window and said 'Terribly sorry sir, I didn't mean to flag you down.  It's a new car and I pressed the wrong button.'
acr
Rising Star

Before selecting Drive you need to ensure that your right foot is pushing down on the brake pedal. Then select drive and move your right foot from the brake to the accelerator. 
"M" presumably stands for Manual and if it works the same as on my VW then you can manually select your gears by moving the gear lever backwards or forwards. If I select a gear in manual then it stays in that gear until I move the gear lever up (for a gear higher) or down (for a gear lower). Alternatively I can just switch back to Drive.

Thanks for the replies.
I won't be driving it till tomorrow but SWMBO has just been to the local shops and said she enjoyed the drive more than with a manual.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Personally i don't know what the fuss is about.
About five years ago i made an instant switch from manual to automatic - we went and bought one and brought it straight home. Many autos have a foot rest for the left foot - roughly where the clutch would be. The break pedal is in the usual place on the right side yet i keep hearing people saying things like "make sure you keep your left foot right out of the way" as if its going to be some sort of problem! It isn't!
Just remember to keep your foot on the brake when stationary and changing the gear mode. EG from park to drive, keep your foot on the brake. As soon as drive is engaged the car will want to move forwards. To start moving gently let your foot up off the brake and the car will start creeping forwards. Same goes for reverse. Then just use the gas as normal!
It's a doddle mav, you'll be fine Wink
There are often a few other modes such as 3,2 L - which restrict the box to those as being the highest gears it's allowed to use so if you put it in 2, it will use 1st and 2nd but no higher gear. The idea of this is for engine braking on hills except that with a slush box its often pointless in reality as the car still speeds up lol.
As for M.. sounds like you have a *tronic box which lets you also go into manual mode and operate it like a manual. Remember though you still have no clutch for this so you have have to press a button when changing gears or something - never driven a tronic box'd car so can't say more than that.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Are automatics heavier on fuel and have less excelleration than a manual car ?

I have always said I'm not interested in driving an automatic and always requested a manual courtesy car. It'll be interesting to see if my view changes once I have driven this automatic (Vauxhall Mokka 1.4)!
I seem to remember being told many years ago that one is meant to ease off the accelerator just as a gear change is about to happen was/is that still the case?
@7up I can imagine that my left hand and foot will both feel a little redundant and twitchy but can't ever picture using the left foot for braking - just wouldn't feel right Wink I can see doing an emergency stop and trying to put my left foot through the floor as a reflex Cheesy

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

depends if its one of the models with kickdown acceleration or not, one I had years ago had kickdown and would auto switch gears, it could out accelerate a lot of manual cars up to about 40 miles an hour but that's heavy on fuel if your always triggering it, otherwise there normally comparable if your the kinda guy that goes everywhere with a lead foot your going o burn the money pretty fast, the real problem is ice or water driving since you cant dip a clutch to take away the drivetrain and will pirouette much more frequently .........
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

I recently drove my son's Passat which doesn't have a hand brake.
I kept reaching for it and it felt very strange not having one.
It's many years since I drove an automatic and at that time, being a new driver changing vehicles felt odd therefore driving an automatic I instinctively pressed the clutch pedal which just happened to be the brake pedal......I soon adjusted.
Incidentally has anyone tried pressing the brake pedal in a manual car with their left foot. It's quite strange.

Quote from: Strat
Incidentally has anyone tried pressing the brake pedal in a manual car with their left foot. It's quite strange.

Nope! Even thinking about it seems total alien and weird Cheesy

If you do try it make sure your seatbelt is secure and there are no loose objects in the car......oh and no following vehicles nearby.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
I instinctively pressed the clutch pedal which just happened to be the brake pedal......I soon adjusted.

I tried once in a car park and yes it was very strange.
How did you hit the brake in the auto with your left foot? - Not like they're on the far left where the clutch would be!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

My foot felt for a pedal it knew should be there and quickly found one....the brake.
It learned the error of it's ways quick enough hence being placed under the seat.
My brother in law who's car it was found the whole thing highly amusing.