Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic compensation

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Automatic compensation

From today a number of well known broadband providers will give automatic compensation to users who have had a range of problems including no show of BT engineers.

The compensation will be automatic without the need for users to actually put in a claim for it.

Missing from the list of broadband suppliers is PN

When is that going to change ?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Automatic compensation

Indeed. This is quite obviously indefensible.  They haven't even given a timescale (and are the only major broadband provider in this position).

Plusnet like to champion their award-winning customer service, but in our experience when something actually goes wrong it is anything but.  We have experienced several long service outages and, despite strong representation, have never received any compensation.

If the customer service is so good what is plusnet frightened of?

I have been considering moving to another supplier for some time (let's face it, it's a bit of a hassle, especially if you still use your ISP-specific email addresses for anything; no doubt they rely on this inertia), but plusnet's failure to sign up to this scheme is likely to be the last straw for me.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@stub1969 

"... but plusnet's failure to sign up to this scheme is likely to be the last straw for me."

They actually have committed to the scheme but as yet have not said when they can provide compensation automatically (meaning that the billing system is still is a state of flux!).

"Plusnet has committed to the scheme, but has not provided a timescale for when it will begin providing automatic compensation."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47768666

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Forgive my cynicism, but I suspect anything like automatic compensation is going to be, well automatically low. Do you have any figures?

I had months of trouble with plusnet as some of you may recall, and whilst they did cough up in end it was a long haul. They would not for example (and I think my memory is right on this) even consider it until the problem was resolved which meant weeks of paying for a level of service I was not getting.

P.S. Just a thought, this is not an April Fool's joke is it? Roll_eyes

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman - You can get the story and the numbers here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47768666

Highlighted

They actually have committed to the scheme but as yet have not said when they can provide compensation automatically (meaning that the billing system is still is a state of flux!).

I'm aware of that but it's not good enough.  They are the only major provider to either not sign up immediately or to provide a timescale.  Billing system excuses are just that, excuses; they have had nearly 18 months to prepare for this since it was publicly announced (and I would imagine they knew about it before then).

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Looking on these boards, as plusnet routinely takes months or more to do refunds, they would have little chance of having any sort of believable automatic compensation scheme.

What would they have in the small print. "You should receive your automatic compensation this year or next if you're lucky".

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

My view is that they have no timetable for two reasons:
1. They don’t know how long it’s going to take to fix the issues with the new billing system and don't need any more.
2. It probably wasn’t a consideration when the new billing system was being developed so have no idea how long it will take to integrate support for it.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous 

Thanks for the link.

Just peanuts then, and presumably if we are not home when the engineer calls as arranged for example, they will charge us that same amount?

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course it's peanuts, whatever were you expecting! Wink

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I doubt there is any other private company where the billing system has been in such a mess for this period of time with no timescale of when it is likely to be sorted.

@Minivanman 

Yes I was inclined to include PN as taking part in this scheme from today ( As a April fools joke) But thought better of it as it's a serious subject.

I do wonder why the government are so lax as to allow companies the choice of if or when they join such schemes, it should be a statutory requirement as part of their licence conditions.

I note BT are taking part......have BT no control of what is happening at PN ?

Highlighted
Community Veteran

@Anonymous wrote:

Of course it's peanuts, whatever were you expecting! Wink

I agree the amount is peanuts BUT how valuable is your time, this change means they have the responsibility of doing the work and compensating you.....rather than you spending time waiting on the phone...writing to the ombudsman etc.

It quite likely that isp who take part in this scheme will include it in future adverts for their service

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@stub1969 wrote: They are the only major provider to either not sign up immediately or to provide a timescale. 

'Hyperoptic, Vodafone, EE and Plusnet have also committed to the plans'. Not the only big player not to sign up yet. 

I'm never a great fan of automatic anything anyway. How does it differentiate between someone really being inconvenienced by the failure to provide a service and someone who doesn't use it all that much but still has a problem. Both would get the same level of compensation.

Still it's a start, mission creep.........

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?