Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Automatic compensation

How come Plusnet joining later ?
Next year or later are they waiting for new billing system? First 😕
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Just been reading about this, I wonder what other ISP's think about it. Bit it does make you wonder why Plusnet joining later, surely it should count for all at the same time.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

In terms of implementation, Ofcom recognises that introducing this will be very complex and that ISPs need time to adapt their billing systems, online accounts and call centres. As a result there will be a 15-month implementation period before it comes into effect during early 2019.

he new scheme is actually based on a voluntary proposal from the industry, which has been put toward by BT, Virgin Media, Sky Broadband, TalkTalk and Zen Internet (Plusnet and EE have also indicated they will join the scheme). In other words, Ofcom has decided not to impose a regulatory system but they will review the new approach one year after it has been implemented.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/11/final-details-automatic-compensation-serious-broadband...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

It will probably come into effect after the new accounts system Crazy

Pete11
Pro

Only a couple or three years to go then, (maybe).

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

I can see two sides to this:

One on the one hand, if there is a fault then a user should not have to pay for a service which the ISP cannot provide.

On the other, the ISP paying out will mean price rises which will affect people who are lucky enough to not have faults, or rarely (like me).

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Main thing is will this make BT/OR improve ?

No they will just incerease prices Lips are sealed

Community Veteran

Exactly @rongtw

I think your second line of your post is the correct one sadly.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Customers will have to phone up initally.......

All our lines are busy at present......try again later.

Wink

bluewhale
Rising Star

this can only be a good thing and not soon enough

at the moment there is nothing i as a customer can do to get a fault fixed

the 3 companies involved ie plusnet/btwholesale/openreach all use each other to shift responsibilty

i have had 1 fault in some 15 years and the way plusnet have treated me has been appauling

there is nothing to make them fix my fault and they have had me in a no way out workflow, including many pointless engineer visits

note that btwholesale block engineer call out types that the openreach engineers recommended i ask for

and instead only allow home type visits even though everyone involved knows that it not a problem at my house

and is just a way of causing maximum inconvenience to try and make me give up

well once the auto compensation comes in plusnet will have to start fighting for things to get fixed rather than at the moment where they just shrug and tell me to go elsewhere

the other thing about this is that offcom have clearly stated what they think reasonable compensation is

so on my current fault open since august will now be running into something like £700 at £8 a day

quite why we have btwholesale between plusnet and openreach i do not know

so all in all it's quite obvious why plusnet will drag their feet on this, but just because it's not currently automatic doesn;t mean it doesn;t have to be paid at all ( was interesting that only 15% of compensations are paid right now )

i for one after the way i have been treated will be demanding proper compensation for what has gone on in my ongoing fault

bluewhale
Rising Star

No they will just incerease prices

no the rate of £8 a day will not be absorb able they will have to start sorting out the problems that they have

plusnet will no longer be able to play the waiting game, they will have to start going after btwholesale/openreach to sort issues out

right now none of the 3 plusnet/btwholesale/openreach have any incentive to sort tricky problems out

the likeliest negative response i see is that they will try and refuse to accept faults, but in the end that will get attacked as well

and the current shady practice of for example how many disconnects a day is acceptable which is hidden will be exposed just like the max speed etc

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

£25 for a missed appointment is fine if your take-home pay is £3/hr or less (which is illegal), otherwise you are still severely out of pocket.

Gladstone
Grafter

the 3 companies involved ie plusnet/btwholesale/openreach all use each other to shift responsibilty

That sounds very familiar..... Angry

I continually insist the fault I've had (for +7 months) is not the fault of PN, but it's incredibly frustrating that BTW and Openreach seem to be passing it back and forth with no real outcome or timescale to fix.

It's amazing that the industry get away with it, largely because there is only one main player in FTTC with everyone else kneeling in front of them asking for connections to "their" network, yet when a fault develops they simply don't take responsibility for it.

I honestly feel sorry for the PN support team who are hitting their heads against the proverbial brick walls every day.

Community Veteran

But isn't it true, to all intents and purposes, that plusnet already get automatic compensation.

They just don't automatically pass it on to the customer.