Automatic Watches

Highlighted
Grafter

Re: Automatic Watches

Are we showing off our watches? OK, here's mine:
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I've had this for about 5 years (I don't wear it often these days though), it's still running on its original battery and keeps time based on the RDS time signal.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

The problem with a digital watch is that it only displays one time (or optionally extra time zones). When looking at an analogue watch you can easily visualize loads of times.
Not sure what I mean? If you have an appointment at half past the hour you can glance at the watch and see how much time remains. With a digital watch you have to do a mental calculation to see how long you have left.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Highlighted
Fixes: 413

I have never liked digital display watches.
I did have one or two in the late 70's but I agree with jelv's comments. A quick look at an analogue watch you can even work out the time in another zone without much thinking.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

I don't understand why it is quicker to work out a time in another time zone with an analogue watch. If I want to know the time on the East Coast of the US I simply look at my digital watch and subtract 5 hours.  isn't it the same with an analogue? Simpler way is to have a digital watch that can show 2 times at once.
Highlighted
Fixes: 413

For me it's just a matter of looking at an analogue watch and I seem to be able to automatically convert to another time zone whereas with a digital display some mental arithmetic is involved.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Come on guys, the conversion is the same whatever the watch!
Once you know what the time is you make a simple conversion by adding/subtracting hours. It doesn't matter where you get the starting time from.
Geoff,
York.
Highlighted
Grafter

Whatever watch you have, telling the time is even quicker when you don't have to think about another time zone. Amazing!