cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Watches

Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Automatic Watches

The lad has an automatic watch which is great, but it looses about 5 minutes aweek, is this about the normal for a watch with an automatic movement ?
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Automatic Watches

Take it back to the shop..... "not of merchantable quality".  also " not fit for purpose".....  ( a watch that does not keep time, is as useful as a chocolate fire guard )....
.. get your money back, and buy him a proper wind up, or decent battery watch! ... ( not digital )
Community Veteran

You could buy one of these:
watch
Community Veteran

Every time I look at that I think that's an ugly chunk of a watch.
Maybe I should have hung on to my old Sony x10 mini and glued a strap to it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

never owned a watch Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I was given by my parents a Seiko automatic watch for my twenty-first birthday forty-six years ago. Its had two bracelets and two new glasses but, still works perfectly. In fairness I don't wear it much these days preferring a Casio Ediface solar powered. But every now and again I give it a shake to get the rotor spinning inside and wear it for a while. But it keeps pretty good time, mine gains slightly over a month or so.
In those day's Seiko's were not so common, my dad also wasn't so pleased that I had chosen something Japanese anyway.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
itsme
Grafter

A simple adjustment, if the watch was brought from a watchmakers then they would adjust it. If brought from another shop or online speak to them to see if they have an arrangement with any national watchmakers to do the adjustment
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

We sent a mail off to the supplier last night and we got a reply back today saying that a tolerance of 20/30 Seconds per day is the expected norm.
5X60=300  so  300/7=42.8571428571 that's a third more in my book being conservative. Anyway the question has been posed to said owner.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Just to clarify the point a £5 digital watch will be more accurate than a mechanical movement irrespective of the price ?
Community Veteran

So what justifies the multi £1000's a Rolex automatic can cost you. As gleneagles says a £5 digital watch will out-perform a Rolex for accuracy (while the battery lasts, by which time the Rolex will still be working even if it has been regulated a couple of times) material cost? that much weight of whatever precious metal the Rolex is made from will be nowhere near retail cost of the watch, diamond encrusting adds to the cost but does nothing for the accuracy of timekeeping, workmanship? very difficult to define, most of the superb detail is hidden inside the case.
So what is so attractive about owning a Rolex except the pleasure of doing so?
What I do know is that I'd love to own one, but I don't really know why.
PS. I've had a couple of five-minute wonder fakes though, that lasted almost until I had got out of the shop door.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shalom2010
Grafter

This is the best watch I've ever had - never lost more than 5 seconds in 5 years and will never need to replace the battery. It does not use one, it's a eco drive watch (uses light to charge). Cost me £80.
http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-uk/watches/watch-detail/?model=BM8240-11A
Community Veteran

Same principle as this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039UT5MC/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 that I'm wearing. I don't normally go for the bells and whistles type, bought it on a whim really. Had I seen your Citizen shalom2010 I would almost certainly gone for it as well, its much more the style I usually favour. I was definitely looking for solar powered though.
I'm very impressed with it, as I am with a lot of Casio steel cased watches, not very keen on those at the cheap plastiky end or sports watches of their range though.

shalom2010
Grafter

Hi Petlew - oh sorry don't like the watch you have Sad  Looks way to complicated. I wanted something simple and after my old watch (which had a very similar face to the link above), died, a famous jewellers wanted £10 to send the watch back
to get a new battery (only after 3 years). I got fed up renewing batteries, so I went environmentally friendly I got an eco-drive watch Smiley
I think all watches should be like mine...but I would say that Smiley  ....Steven
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
So what justifies the multi £1000's a Rolex automatic can cost you.

So what is so attractive about owning a Rolex except the pleasure of doing so?

You have answered your own question there it seems
What I do know is that I'd love to own one, but I don't really know why.

Pleasure (as above)?
I have one of these
Bought it in 1987, It has no precious metals or diamonds, it is in as new condition and it is my pride and joy.
Community Veteran

This is my watch
http://www.seiko.co.uk/products/pulsar/c/pulsar_gents/m/pm7009x1_pm7009x1
analogue readout but digital display of another timezone (set for Greenwich) so I know when not to ring the folks at home
It is a stopwatch and alarm too but i dont use those functions much
Its definitely a tool of my trade when I'm on site inspecting Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra