cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Cars

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Automatic Cars

@7up I have a snow and ice setting on mine, it works surprisingly well. Difficult to leave switched on as it resets to normal when the ignition is switched off. I suppose if you drive for a very long time you could leave it on, but I think you would quickly notice the difference as soon as you got on to a dry road surface.

Cruise control can be a useful device to have and nothing to do with lack of driving skills. On long fairly traffic free journeys it can be pleasant to leave the pedals alone and let the car drive itself and maintain a speed (speed limit) according to the road conditions and gradients, in cruise it also manages to improve the mpg.

For brief changes in speed such as traffic cutting in front of you, brakes work normally which switches you out of cruise, simply flicking the cruise switch up will return you to the original speed when appropriate, likewise speed can be increased 1.5mph steps by flicking the control up, or down to adjust the speed downwards by the same amount. 

I do accept though in traffic it is not really much good, as there are usually far too many changes in speed.

One place it is useful is in camera infested 50mph road works where you can get on with the steering without constantly glancing at the speedo, however you will find yourself being overtaken quite a lot though, but you can bask in the knowledge of the protection of your driving licence. 

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I agree totally with everything you posted above.

Especially the speed monitored roadworks, it is a godsend.

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro

@petlew wrote:

For brief changes in speed such as traffic cutting in front of you, brakes work normally which switches you out of cruise, simply flicking the cruise switch up will return you to the original speed when appropriate, likewise speed can be increased 1.5mph steps by flicking the control up, or down to adjust the speed downwards by the same amount. 

I do accept though in traffic it is not really much good, as there are usually far too many changes in speed.

Some of the latest autos have intelligent cruise control which senses if you are getting too close to the car in front and slows to maintain the appropriate distance, then increases back to the set speed when possible. It will also bring the car to a halt if necessary. I'll definitely be getting that option next time
Champnet
Pro
Fixes: 1

@beeceegee wrote:

Some of the latest autos have intelligent cruise control which senses if you are getting too close to the car in front and slows to maintain the appropriate distance, then increases back to the set speed when possible. It will also bring the car to a halt if necessary. I'll definitely be getting that option next time

Shame this couldn't be a compulsory fitting on all vehicles..............

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@beeceegee

@Champnet

Really?

Not meaning to be rude but just how difficult is it to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you. Mind you, some seem to find it totally impossible.

Community Veteran

@beeceegee Handy for some I suppose (chronic tailgaters, my most hated breed of driver - other than those drink or drug impaired of course -) But, personally I never follow anybody particularly closely, preferring lots of space for somebody else to mess up and keep out of the way if necessary, if that means I get other vehicles filling the space in front of me, I simply drop back and maintain the space I prefer. Does that mean I may arrive at my destination a minute or two later than expected... so what, I can live with that.

I'm not a slow doddery driver (far from it) but I just stay out of potential trouble. 

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@petlew

Amen to all that, just keep back and then drop back as some Muppet in a hurry fills the gap. Thumbs Up

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro

@petlew wrote:

@beeceegee Handy for some I suppose (chronic tailgaters, my most hated breed of driver - other than those drink or drug impaired of course -) B

I can't see chronic tailgaters making use of intelligent, or indeed any, cruise control!. Actually I rarely use it myself; when I do it's usually on the aforementioned long roadwork sections. On UK motorways it's virtually useless. I'm just a sucker for this sort of gadget. I've got the gear change paddles on the steering wheel, think I've used them once on a particularly vicious hairpin bend. I've got dynamic chassis control, which sets the suspension to hard, normal or soft, but I can't actually tell the difference.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

And then you get (older) drivers not using their prescription spectacles whilst driving !!

As per her driving license requirement ...

Disturbing Video:

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/21/grandmother-jailed-killing-pedestrian-mistook-accelerator-brake-740601...

She apparently used the wrong pedal, accelerator instead of brake !

She appears to have been travelling far too fast anyway, after a dodgy overtaking manoeuvre

Fixes: 221

For anyone who has not tried it, try braking in a manual car with your left foot.

You don't realise how lightly you press on the pedal with your right foot until you try it with your left.

Just make sure no-one is close behind.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 66.0.1 (64-bit)

Community Veteran

@Strat Quite agree, Its because with cable operated clutches you don't realise how much pressure is needed to depress the clutch spring, you just get used to it, some cars are much worse than others, many "supercars" with multi plate clutch discs can be extremely heavy to operate.

I've been driving long enough to have owned a number of manual cars with hydraulic clutches, one, a 3.5L Zephyr Zodiac had a servo fitted to the clutch, that had a bench front seat and a column gear change. But generally hydraulic clutches are much easier and smoother to operate, but very rare these days.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@petlew wrote:

@7up I have a snow and ice setting on mine, it works surprisingly well. Difficult to leave switched on as it resets to normal when the ignition is switched off. I suppose if you drive for a very long time you could leave it on, but I think you would quickly notice the difference as soon as you got on to a dry road surface.

On many of the autos we've had the snow mode is a mechanical click on, click off button and this it is quite easy to turn it on and forget about it. The current car we have is a soft on button - momentary contact so the internal computer resets the next time the car starts.

The other car that is sorn on the drive has a mechanical on-off type.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@Strat

Re: Left and/or right foot breaking in an automatic.

My old Zodiac automatic had a wide break pedal on which I used both feet at the same time.To be honest I was never sure if I was supposed to use left, right, of both.

Happy days, until a lorry took the side off it whilst it was parked out side the house. Angry 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Well my first drive in an auto for over 30 years, managed to park (3*) and not mess up too badly. Apart from an emergency stop when parking and one when pulling out where I would have changed gear. The system is easy enough to use but why so MANY buttons on the steering wheel? (Honda Jazz) radio control, gear control, Huh? controls.
Infinity
Seasoned Pro

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
why so MANY buttons on the steering wheel? (Honda Jazz) radio control, gear control, Huh? controls.

It's not that complicated, once you've driven a few miles.

I don't use all the buttons.

Mostly just the Cruise ON button, and the gearshift paddles.