cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Cars

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Automatic Cars

Just as a slightly off-topic PS. to this. I passed an Advanced Drivers test many years ago (on a manual) the examiner explained that the most common reason for failing an Advanced test was (I quote) "failing to make adequate progress", in other words; driving too slowly. 

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@petlew wrote:

We drove around adhering strictly to speed limits. At one point on a long up and down hill twisting country lane (a 40 mph limit) we were told to maintain the limit without using brakes, not such an easy thing to do in an automatic with little or no engine braking.

Engine Braking in an Automatic:

On most of my Automatic cars, all you have to do is select a lower fixed gear, usually just one shift, and this will provide engine braking.

ie go from D to 2

Also. for example, On my Jazz Auto, if I select S (Sport Mode), I can then manage all 7 gears from the paddle shifts on the steering wheel.

Usually I select 3 or 2 for steep hill descent engine braking.

Or 1 for one particularly steep hill locally.

This then stays in the manually selected gear, until I accelerate away at the bottom of the hill...

The Jazz will then automatically change manual gears, as required, at the top of the rev range, this gives enhanced extremely fast acceleration.

(Good for the Traffic Light GP Starts )

With really noticeable engine braking, whilst in Sport mode, in a low selected gear.

For really steep hill descents, I can also manually select the lowest gear on the gear lever.

This is also true on the Jeep GC's.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

@petlew

Well yes, but that's on the assumption that everybody else is driving  faster?

Champnet
Seasoned Pro

I failed my driving test fist time for driving too slow, got it right the second time after a good telling off from my instructor.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cruise Control is brilliant for helping you keep your license !!!!

I use it all the time now, clean license for years.

And I'm sure it helps the mpg

Community Veteran

@Anonymous Auto Express made some remarks about the paddle gear change in this review. I don't of course know which year your Jazz is.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/jazz/92524/honda-jazz-cvt-automatic-2015-review

I have driven CVT auto's, and frankly don't like them much. Much prefer the "proper" sequential auto fitted to my Toyota Avensis. Sadly, in my opinion, Toyota now fits CVT across its whole range, don't know if a sequential can be specified from new.

Having said that, Toyota are widely accepted to make the best CVT box currently available... the worst being on Nissan's I hear.

Some time back I was in the market for a Prius, one of the things that put me off was the CVT gearbox, although I admit after driving a dealer test car it wasn't that awful.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

PS. Yes, I quite like using cruise control as well, but its a debatable benefit at 40mph and useless at 30mph. Anything above 50 and its fine. 

Fixes: 344

My son drove himself to Liverpool airport one Friday with me as a passenger in his Merc diesel auto.

I was to drive his car back home and return on Monday to pick him up again.

The first stop I had to make was exiting the airport car park.

This stop was very sudden and I was lucky there was no-one following me and I immediately tucked my left foot under the seat.

The other thing I found disconcerting was the engine dying at every stop as it felt like a stall.

There were a lot of switches and buttons in the cockpit which I left well alone as I'm not a trained pilot.

Fortunately the lights came on when the car deemed it necessary, relieving me of that task.

I much prefer a manual box car as it's part of the driving experience.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 70.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@petlew wrote:

@Anonymous Auto Express made some remarks about the paddle gear change in this review. I don't of course know which year your Jazz is.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/jazz/92524/honda-jazz-cvt-automatic-2015-review

Thanks

That review is for a basic Jazz, mine is the top of the range Hybrid with all bells & whistles & enhanced performance.

The IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) Electric motor adds to the performance, effectively two engines at the same time.

Throughout the range, it is approximately TWICE as fast as a standard Jazz.

As for the paddles, I find them excellent in use, really responsive.

Not at all as described in the review, for the basic Jazz.

I use them quite a lot.

My previous runabout was a basic Jazz, the difference is spectacular, in all ways.

When I am being challenged at the Traffic Lights GP, and I accept the challenge, I just select Sport mode, 1st gear, and drive off.

The gearbox automatically changes up to the next gear at maximum revs, so the acceleration is phenomenal.

I have yet to be beaten !!!

Of course, I only do this when it is safe to do so, and never go above the speed limit.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

One other thing.. many autos come with "snow mode". If you accidentally turn it on or leave it on the car can be extremely sluggish to pull away. This is because it moves up a gear (eg 2nd instead of 1st) so the torque at the wheels is reduced. The car feels far heavier and slower and makes you feel like something is wrong. In reality nothing is wrong but its one to keep an eye out for. I've done it a few times.

@Anonymous Cruise control is also safer IMO as you can rest your foot on the brake pedal and use it much quicker in an emergency. If you've got it on the accelerator then you have to waste half a second moving it over.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 29

@Anonymous wrote:

Cruise Control is brilliant for helping you keep your license !!!!

I use it all the time now, clean license for years.

And I'm sure it helps the mpg

Been driving for 52 years..... never had a "cruise control" device fitted to any vehicle....

just used my brain, and my driving skills, to cruise at a safe speed, and have never been pulled over by the plod... nor have I had any accidents.

From previous threads,   you will also know that due to that same driving skill, I have been able to maintain and improve my m.p.g. on many journeys all over the U.K.  and had a lot of fun doing it ! ( in Manual Gearbox cars ).... !  :cool:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Same here @shutter, remember when cars had starting handles?

And crikey, you must have covered some miles driving for 52 years! :grin:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 29

@Minivanman Yes ! and I had one when I lived in Mauritius.

Rough estimate, based on 12,000 miles per year.... 52 X 12,000  = 624,000   however, that would probably be an "under estimate, as I know some years I did between 15 and 17, 000... not doing that now, so take the average ! !  

( I do remember going to Scotland for a 2 week holiday, and driving 1585 miles in those 2 weeks ! ! ) ...

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Ah right. I misunderstood.

Thought maybe you'd been driving non-stop for that length of time :wink:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Reminds me of the time (1999) when I first went to the USA. Orlando.
So my first experience of driving an auto and on the right.

My dad had booked around a week and a half in Orlando and the other week and a half in Key West.

He said "Oh it'll take a couple of hours drive" to me. Well the USA doesn't look so vast on the map doesn't it?

So go to hotel bar on day one, dad orders. I don't know what was said but I assume he was discussing our plans with bar staff.

Comes back with drinks looking shocked. What's the matter I think. He says "Oh you know that couple of hours I mentioned, it will be more like 9".

Oh [-Censored-] I thought, they were right - but a lot longer drive than expected :grin: