Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto locking doors (car)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Auto locking doors (car)

Just got a "new" Seat (54 reg).
It has the auto lock when you do over 15mph. I find it VERY WEIRD.
That and the fact that you have to UNLOCK the doors when you stop to let someone out/in unless you remove the ignition key.
The fact that I only have one key, and you need to unlock, then put the key in the ignition then turn on, to turn off the alarm, result SHMBO opens passenger door BEFORE I can do so = alarm off, I also keep forgetting to disable the internal sensor result=dog sets alarm off!.
Anybody else got this and what is the general feeling towards it?
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Auto locking doors (car)

Get rid of it and make it someone elses problem  Grin
No seriously.. it's a saab.. just get it crushed Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Normally there's a button inside the car that opens the locks when pressed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: 7up

Erm....Oops... I think he said it was a Seat....  ( is that spanglish for Spanish Fiat  ? ? ?  )  Undecided
Community Veteran

Apparently with the right software and cable it can be altered or turned off.
Maybe,
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: shutter
Quote from: 7up

Erm....Oops... I think he said it was a Seat....  ( is that spanglish for Spanish Fiat  ? ? ?  )   Undecided

Good point... whoops!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Buy a 2CV, it has door locks, but nobody'll want to steal it, despite being easy to steal... Grin
PowerLee
Rising Star

Try operating the internal door handle, a lot of cars with this type of auto locking will unlock on either 1st or 2nd pull of the handle.
Fixes: 104

mine locks after 15mph, using one of the internal door handles unlocks (as PowerLees says) it and there's a button on the dash to unlock to let someone in (as artmo says), it's not in anyway linked to the alarm.
that's deactivated by using the remote to unlock, do you have one or is it just a key?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Now 3 things, I didn't say it was a Saab, and I did say you had to unlock the doors which implied I knew where the button was, and I have only one non remote key.
Trying to open the door using the handle doesn't work, not tried twice.
The alarm is a separate issue, I didn't say it was linked, but this is the first car I have had with internal sensors, so I keep forgetting to disable the alarm when I leave the dog in the boot (with a window open, and not during the summer/in direct sun).
@Shutter, no its Spanish for Volkswagen ;-) Same engine as the Golf TDi of the same era, and same electrics apparently. It may even be same engine as your one. (110Hp TDi)
Other than this "fun" feature, its not a bad car, great mileage. Looks about 60mpg extra urban, not gone far enough to get a reading on the range yet.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Like you HMcB my Toyota has internal alarm sensors (vaguely recall this used to be called Volumetric once upon a time <well the spell-checker accepted it any way>) that I habitually forget to set to off when I leave my wife in the car (just a matter of getting used to it I suppose <the alarm that is not my wife!!>) and she has set the alarm off in car parks several times, not that anybody took any notice of the alarm going off.
Like many other cars, if the remote is used to unlock the car but the doors etc are not touched or opened they will re lock themselves after 15 seconds.
Personally I don't like being locked into a car, in the event of a serious accident it could make rescue very difficult indeed if those inside were unconscious. I do however if very rarely driving through areas that might be considered "unhealthy" or possibly intimidating I will use the button provided to lock all the doors (located near the window buttons) but will unlock them again when the coast is clear. I've probably only done this once or twice in the last five years.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

The automatic door locking is very common in the US and is found on most cars. It was initially introduced, as Petlew, eluded to, as a safety measure to prevent people opening the doors and mugging you.
PowerLee
Rising Star

Most auto locking systems are linked in to the airbags.
Fire a seatbelt pre tensioner or airbag in an accident & the doors will automatically unlock.
Check in the handbook / ask your main dealer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Hairy
@Shutter, no its Spanish for Volkswagen

Seat started by manufacturing Fiat designed cars for the Spanish market but were bought by Volkswagen Group in the 1980s
Volkswagen Group currently market passenger cars under the  Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen brands (also Ducati Motorcycles!).
My Polo, in common with several other VWs (and associated brands), has a (remote) boot-only unlocking function where you can unlock the boot (hatch) with the other doors still locked, handy at times (loading shopping then returning your trolley before returning to the car) but if you just happen to drop your key in the boot and shut it it immediately locks....
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

Quote from: PowerLee
Most auto locking systems are linked in to the airbags.

Even my old Renault 16TX, from many decades ago, would automatically unlock the doors in the event of a violent stop.