cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-Braking

Fixes: 125

Auto-Braking

A future without car crashes?
I'm all for making driving as safe as possible but I'm wondering whether some of the ideas here would really just allow drivers to become lazy and rely on technology.
[quote=Auto-braking]Early tests are good, the car stops automatically before hitting the balloon test car, despite Mr Coelingh's foot being on the accelerator.]
Would it not be better to teach drivers to be more aware of their surroundings and potential hazards?
[quote=The intelligent windscreen]"[We can] highlight the edge of road, augmenting reality effectively, making it more apparent to you so that you can release your attention to other things that you should be scanning for."
I, for one, wouldn't like to rely on a Knight-Rider type car.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Auto-Braking

Having just seen a jeep driver nearly wipe out a cyclist by pulling out in front of him I would agree about observation or rather lack of it 
To be fair though the visibility was rather compromised by a dirty great telegraph pole right next to the exit from the garden centre
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Mav
A future without car crashes?
I'm all for making driving as safe as possible but I'm wondering whether some of the ideas here would really just allow drivers to become lazy and rely on technology.
I, for one, wouldn't like to rely on a Knight-Rider type car.

I have to disagree. Computers whether they're microprocessors or full blown servers can make millions or billions of calculations per second. This means they can make decisions far faster than you or I. Granted autonomous cars are still in their early years and are being gradually improved with testing but to give you an example look at the early sat-navs. In the early years they wern't great.. now every ambulance and police car has them.
As for the KR comment... how many accidents did KITT have? - None.. except those which were intentional or caused by others knowing his weakness Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and you would be surprised how long they have been testing these things, I first rode one about 1985. 
On the Fiat Test track in Southern Italy, they had lane sensors in 1995 that warned the driver when he went out of lane, And distance sensors,  Well I have a reverse one on my Humble Ka
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I thought Mercedes Benz were playing around with auto braking a number of years ago (around the same time that front and rear parking sensors started to become available) sure they did some research that showed in accidents when, required to brake most drivers didn't brake hard (or early) enough, certainly nowhere near the capabilities of their cars brakes. There were a lot of variables involved: weather/road surface condition, tyre condition etc.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the research was an industry TOM think tank, the knowledge was shared out, the first SatNav I rode in was a CD in the boot and all the announcement in German, plus they tried to take us round a roundabout the wrong way, that was in one of the 1980's vehicles
Community Veteran

Quote from: pierre_pierre
and you would be surprised how long they have been testing these things

Not really, I've known there have been many systems out there for a long time which have come and gone but until recently we've never really had computer technology which was powerful enough to handle it all and calculate mapping routes etc.
It's only really now that we've got the resources needed to create something which could actually make this a reality. Bout time too Wink
My only hope is the autonomous cars have a red flashing LED stripe..
pierre_pierre
Grafter

And the same has been said about Antilock braking
When you got out of the pram and your nappies are dry.
When they came out and still now, you could be following one and the driver could just hit his brakes, it would not skid, just stop sharpish, the poor person behind had no chance of stopping so quick
n 1978, the German firms Bosch and Daimler-Benz co-developed an ABS technology that begun in the early 1970s, and introduced the first completely electronic four-wheeled multi-channel ABS in trucks and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
ABS brakes on a BMW motorcycle
In 1988, BMW introduced the first motorcycle with an electronic-hydraulic ABS: the BMW K100. Honda followed suit in 1992 with the launch of its first motorcycle ABS on the ST1100 Pan European. In 2007, Suzuki launched its GSF1200SA (Bandit) with an ABS. In 2005, Harley-Davidson began offering ABS as an option for police bikes. In 2008, ABS became a factory-installed option on all Harley-Davidson Touring motorcycles and standard equipment on select models.
Ellis
Grafter

Before ABS was developed, Timo Mackinnon used a form of braking with a mini (Front Wheel Drive) that involved breaking with the left foot while keeping the right foot on the accelerator. It was very effective, I followed his example with a Fiat 127. I never got hit up the rear but it was touch and go a few times with tailgating drivers.
Community Veteran

How does that work then?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Ellis
Before ABS was developed, Timo Mackinnon used a form of braking with a mini (Front Wheel Drive) that involved breaking with the left foot while keeping the right foot on the accelerator. It was very effective, I followed his example with a Fiat 127. I never got hit up the rear but it was touch and go a few times with tailgating drivers.

Wasn't it a form of "heal’n toe", right foot heal on the break pedal, right foot toe on the accelerator bar that led to the pedal, left foot on the clutch, used by truck drivers, before synchronised gears. Seem to remember learning to do something like that, but was over 40 years ago, can remember practicing it a lot, some drivers could twist their foot through 90 degrees and do a heal’n toe straight onto the pedals. One of the main benefits was to allow the driver to change down but keep the revs’ up, ensuring maximum engine power is reached at the point the brake pedal is released. It took several seconds on some of those old slow reving diesel to build the revs up.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

most rally drivers did that, now they cant even change gear proper like

(I worked next door to the Ford Rally when it was in Essex)