cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Australian and New Zealand Paramedic in the NHS

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Australian and New Zealand Paramedic in the NHS

The London Ambulance service because of shortages has been "topped up" by antipodean paramedics.
More are to be recruited later on in the year.
Unfortunate, that BBC day time TV is showing a series of "Helicopter Heros down under" featuring paramedics from....the UK.
I'm willing to accept that the series was made some time ago, but the scheduling timing is to say the least a little unfortunate.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Australian and New Zealand Paramedic in the NHS

Yes the London Ambulance Service is bringing 175 from Australia to help bring their numbers up to the correct level.
They are being paid up to £39,000 per annum so I wonder why we are unable to fill these posts from our own labour force Undecided
davidg52
Grafter

Hi
Because unfortunately it's a 2 year university course to train UK paramedics and they need the staff now.
Dave
Community Veteran

Thanks for that Dave I didn't know it was a university course. What qualification do they obtain?
I would hope we are now training own own staff. It will at least save the relocation costs.
JohnCT
Grafter

We train nurses here, then they go off to the "colonies" where the money is better. So we employ nurses (probably excellent) from foreign countries who can barely speak English. Mad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: JohnCT
We train nurses here, then they go off to the "colonies" where the money is better. So we employ nurses (probably excellent) from foreign countries who can barely speak English. Mad
We also train Doctors here and from press reports they are well paid compared to many other countries so how come there is a shortage?
Community Veteran

We haven't been training enough doctors particularly GPs. The Government has announced plans to train an extra 5000 GPs but it can take up to 10 years to fully train a doctor.
With more being moved from secondary to primary practice it is the shortage of GPs that is the problem.
Many GPs are nearing retirement age and many more are female and these factors put extra pressure on GPs and it is thought we should actually be training 10,000 not 5,000.
JohnCT
Grafter

I find it very thought provoking. GPs are very well paid, but the doctors do not want the job. Which makes nonsense of the banks argument that if they did not pay the immoral bonuses all the bankers would go abroad. Rubbish! 
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
We haven't been training enough doctors particularly GPs. The Government has announced plans to train an extra 5000 GPs but it can take up to 10 years to fully train a doctor.
With more being moved from secondary to primary practice it is the shortage of GPs that is the problem.
Many GPs are nearing retirement age and many more are female and these factors put extra pressure on GPs and it is thought we should actually be training 10,000 not 5,000.
Agreed.
The department of health must have staff who are responsible for  planning  how many medical staff  need training based on various factors which include an increasing population, whilst this can never be 100 % accurate it certainly should not be as far out as it is.
I also have concerns where some trained nurses & midwife's are unable to get a job but hospitals are going abroad to recruit staff ?
Community Veteran

GPs complain about the amount of paperwork they have to do which doesn't allow them to practice medicine Wink
Don't be mislead on GPs pay. Yes, some are very well paid circa £105k but not all get anywhere near this amount. The figure I've quoted is for a GP who is a partner in a practice. Many GPs are salaried and employed by a practice. At my surgery there are 4 partners in the practice. They also employ 3 other GPs on salaries around £50k. We also have 4 GP registrars who are doctors in training and paid for by the NHS.
The top paid GP in the UK is paid around £300k but this is because he runs a number of surgeries each employing other GPs.
Community Veteran

£50 k is not a bad salary.
It's unlikely a Doctor  would have any trouble in finding a job and there is nothing to stop him or her having more than one job, I have known GP's to have additional work in the NHS so the £50 k could be seen as the minimum figure.
Community Veteran

You're right £50k is a good salary but it is a full time salary and doesn't allow much time to do a second job.
The GPs you have known doing extra work are generally the partner GPs. I know in my practice some of the extra work they take on includes carrying out minor surgery at a local hospital, working at a private hospital providing private GP services, clinical leads sitting on the CCG, acting as gypsies (GPs with special interests) etc. Whilst they are away from the practice the salaried GPs are there to cover.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've been on first name terms with my GP for many years and have emphatic faith in his ability. Whenever a visit coincides with GP pay in the news I like to tease him gently about his massive income. He is self-employed and a partner in the practice, He likes to fall about laughing at my implication without ever telling me what he actually earns except to say its nothing like the inflated often quoted in the news.
But, it is also true, that for routine diagnosis of common complaints finds him looking up computer based lists of medications etc. many of which with a little diligence (in a slightly different form) can be done by the patient themselves, although patients can't get at the medicines without a prescription of course.
GP's are of course not just computer searchers and must be able to think outside the box on many occasions, Personally I feel GP's are worth every penny they're paid and more.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
davidg52
Grafter

@ artmo
Apologies for the late reply (child minding duties), at the end of the 2 years they gain a DipHE in paramedic practice.
Dave
Community Veteran

Thank you Dave Smiley