cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Austerity for the many, not the few - Oh the hypocrisy.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Austerity for the many, not the few - Oh the hypocrisy.

Public sector pay protesters are hitting the headlines with a vengeance and no wonder, with their pay capped at one percent whilst our eleven percent pay rise members of parliament including Corbyn protest from the left, and now some including 'back stabber' Gove, and Boris murmur from the right.

On top of that, the DUP get a billion pound bung even if the don't need it (but the Government needs them) and the Royal family is set to take 25% from the Crown estates this year instead of the previous 15% - pushing the Sovereign Grant up to a whopping £76 million for the year because 'obviously' they do need it.

Oh the hypocrisy of a pip squeak nation that can spend billions where it's not needed, and hold back billions from where it is.  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
12 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Austerity for the many, not the few - Oh the hypocrisy.

Austerity is nothing more than a scam. How is the UK deficit doing? the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, nothing new really. As for DUP if you think that is all they are getting think again, more money will be getting chucked their way in due course.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Yup i'm struggling to make sense of it all too.

The logic is so warped that it makes me wonder how they actually expect the rest of us to survive.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

"Austerity" was a cover story to allow the Tories to make the public service cuts and reduce the taxes for the rich that they've always wanted to do.

Cancel http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40479053 and HS2 and they could give all public sector workers the pay rises they deserve - and have money to spare.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

In no way do I not see all your points, but as always what are simple facts, grievances, you name it, are never simple.

Not only MPs, but other professionals do not have annual adjustments, but periodical reviews. When did our MPs last have a review, and was its recommendation met in full? Now say there has been no adjustment for eight years. Both worker and professional start at the same 100%. Compounding the worker's annual adjustments of 1% makes his wage ~ 8.3% higher after the eighth raise. That would suggest the professional/ MP is worth an 8.3% increase. Now the relation ship of the two's earnings is approx the same as eight years back. However the aggregate earnings in the  previous years are some £3600 lower for the professional. Might that also be recognised through a further uplift?

Now let's consider ourselves, as workers and pensioners. Workers had increases in tax allowances, well beyond %age price increase, albeit with some compensating adjustments to the level at which the higher tax band came in. That's more money in pockets than what would have been, had only standard rises in allowances been granted.

OTOH Pensioners' tax allowances were frozen until workers' drew level, but they had the Triple Lock.

Media and the Unions love simple stories of woe like those of nurses having to visit food banks, so we are meant to think all nurses. Really!? The epithet nurse is so wide of meaning, it could the assistant to the matron. Whatever status they have, such apparent dire straits could come about as much through life style and undertaken commitments as government action.

Hate me for writing as above, but most folk fall for propaganda of the left or right. It's so easy.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

And minimise the amount of International Aid money getting wasted abroad .

No one ever checks if this money is used correctly ,a total spend of £12.1bn  Sad

would be better spent on the NHS

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

Many years ago when I was an (Un)Civil Servant the line fed to us at pay negotiation time was "Yes, you get a lower pay than outside industry, but you have a great non-contributory inflation proof pension..."   I didn't believe them then, but they were right about the pension. It used to be like that in the NHS but it has changed for the worse. Every year each administration never had enough money to give public servants a pay rise to match inflation. After a few years I got out of public service and got a well paid job in commerce, salaries were better and pensions worse.

The point about "austerity" is it is a convenient political phrase spouted by those who do not have to allocate Government spending. The figures are bleak. We are still borrowing billion of pounds a month as a nation to fund government spending. Our children and their children will have to pay off those debts either through taxation or worse devaluation of the pound. It doesn't help that successive governments spend on public pensions is funded out of the current account rather than investments.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Luzern
Pro

Of course pay restraint is not the only problem, Public sector bodies e.g. councils are strapped for money. The result is redundancy, positions and functions combined, promotions to the new combined office giving status, but no reward, or a reduction if one remains at same level.

It is hard indeed!

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Hero

@Luzern

"Public sector bodies e.g. councils are strapped for money"

Well that being the case (and we are told it is) then it baffles me why the Chief Executives of our County Councils 'earn' as much as they do. Ours gets around £100k pa, whilst the previous one managed to negotiated a severance package of nearly half a million even though he left under a cloud and deemed by the Welsh Audit Office to have received unlawful payments.

Nice work if you can get it, and then leave scott-free along with a nice little Brucie bonus. Crazy2

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Luzern
Pro

@Minivanman Do you think the condition applies only to public sector. I'm thinking of board remuneration committees. Also comes to mind the fact the they can fight much better than Joe Smith, because they have the means to take legal action, which the strapped budgets would be loath to jeopardise in defence costs. They know where the bodies are as well.

alanf
Aspiring Pro

AlaricAdair wrote:

Many years ago when I was an (Un)Civil Servant the line fed to us at pay negotiation time was "Yes, you get a lower pay than outside industry, but you have a great non-contributory inflation proof pension..."   I didn't believe them then, but they were right about the pension. It used to be like that in the NHS ...

I worked in the NHS and local government from the mid-1970s. We always had to pay 6% of our salary as a compulsory pension contribution. A good pension but not a free one.

We were also told that although there was low pay there was job security. Many found that was not the case.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro

Or, taking into consideration that this was deducted before income tax was applied, you only paid 3.9% when basic rate income tax peaked at 35% (under Labour, funny that!).  Still not free though.

Minivanman
Hero

..... and now I'm reading that Labour councillors in Hartlepool vote themselves a 31% pay rise. Does anybody have any details?