cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio over HDMI Problem

Fixes: 47

Audio over HDMI Problem

I have an HDMI cable between my PC and my TV. This enables me, for example to play an mkv file on my PC and watch it on my TV.
The problem I have is by default no sound is output down the HDMI cable.
I can work around this by setting the HDMI device in 'Sound' to be the default device and this works but I have to set 'Speakers' to default afterwards otherwise I get no speaker sound.
Has anyone any more permanent solution. I have read a couple of solutions on Google but they don't work for various reasons.
If the graphics card had a SPDIF connector internally that would probably offer a solution.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Audio over HDMI Problem

This reply on Microsoft Answers will only depress you:
Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forum!
Unfortunately, multiple audio output is not a supported feature in Windows 7.  You could however, check with the hardware manufacturer for possible programs to perform this function.
Or are you using another oS?

Sadly no...Windows 7 it is.
Community Veteran

Right-click on the speaker item then and change the playback device.  Sad  Not too difficult.  Wink

Actually it's right click speaker in system tray.
Click 'Playback Devices'
Right click 'AMD HDMI Output' and select 'Set as Default Device'
After watching film restore original setting.
I'm lazy, I like things to be a little more automatic on a PC. Wink
Fixes: 125

Thanks for asking this question Strat as the other day I connected the PC to the TV exactly as you described without audio and, strangely, couldn't fathom why no sound came from the TV Cheesy
I have since decided to keep it this way meaning I can watch on TV but have the sound through the PC's surround sound which the TV doesn't have.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

I have a 5.1 system which is the Blu-ray player under the TV and when the PC is configured works fine.
Fixes: 125

The only Blue-Ray player I have is on the Sony Vaio.
As SWMBO doesn't like the level of volume a dedicated 5.1 system could deliver I'm happy to stick with using the PC's surround sound when she is out.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

What I meant was I have a good sound system by the TV and that's where I need the audio as well as the video. Wink
The 2.1 sound on my PC is in the wrong place Sad
There have been suggestions on the internet for configuring inputs to listen to outputs in Control Panel and using patch leads on the PC's sound card but nothing realy satisfactory.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

What about the program you play the file with, has it got any options with sound output?
David_W
Rising Star

I know it's possible, which isn't helpful!  On my videocard (NVidia) I have my HDMI output, if I plug in my TV via the HDMI then the videocard installs it's own sound drivers for the TV, I can then set the TV up as a 2nd screen in the control panel, drag the media player over to the TV and press play and I'll get sound and video so maybe it's an issue with ATi cards?

@RPMozley The app is VLC and yes, after a little digging it does have audio output options and after some trial and error with the various configurations I had video and sound on the TV....good so far.
On stopping the video and reversing the audio settings in VLC back to default the sound stayed with the TV and a PC reboot was required to restore things to normal Undecided
I need to investigate further.
@David does your video card have an audio connector with a lead to the motherboard? I have an old graphics card which does and also has a HDMI connector.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If it can be set at the application level then maybe you could use two programs with one set to use HDMI and the other PC sound. The CCCP project could be used as the alternate along side VLC.

Thanks I'll have a look at that. Smiley
David_W
Rising Star

No audio connection no, the audio is built in to the video card but isn't accessible via the PC, my best guess is that it's a form of DRM allowing protected content to be played on the TV via HDMI.  My card isn't new anymore, it's a 460GTX so it would take over every part of transmitting the information from the PC to the TV screen.