cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attitudes and education

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Attitudes and education

I Often wonder if attitudes of some people who have attended University is at odds with those people who left school and went direct into work ?
For example if you went into work the adults you were working with soon put you right if you did not get into line and do as you were asked, contrast this to someone who goes to University direct from School, they enter an environment where they are treated as adults, given advice on how to obtain information and details about lecture times etc.
Some will work hard and put in the time required but others will take full advantage of the flexible hours and do little, so by the time they leave and get a job, find it difficult to adjust to a working environment.?
16 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Attitudes and education

There's a big difference if they are doing a BA or BSc the former they have very few lectures and believe that they can cram the latter they would be soon caught out if they don't do the work.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

worse is when you enter further education as an adult and are expected to know without being told what is required to complete the work, when the youngsters are taught such things.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As I've said in another thread on a similar subject - we've forgotten what we once knew!
I think the Idea of widespread university education was wrong headed. This led to a very large number of our young people being given inappropriate courses which don't suit them for the future. A politically motivated policy.  Crazy
I went to Polytechnic in the late sixties early seventies and did a thin sandwich course six months at work and six months at Poly every year. When I finished I had two years work experience. The corners were certainly knocked off and I was fully integrated.  Smiley
Why don't we run such courses now?  Undecided
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

It was a big mistake to send everyone to university. It devalued a degree and left us short of 'trades' people. Many of the graduates couldn't get work and ended up serving coffee in Starbucks. Wink
Fortunately there is a drive now to get youngsters into apprenticeships and learn a trade that will see them secure in their future.
Community Veteran

At the age of 42, I have an interview tomorrow with a local company with the aim of getting onto an apprenticeship scheme.
Not ideal for the company as they will have to pay for it rather than the government (due to my age) but the fact that I have 20+ years experience in engineering and electronics should more than make up for that ........
nadger
Rising Star

In 1958/9 I worked as a young draughtsman in R&D lab of Atomic Power Constructions who eventually built one of the magnox power stations.
The place was cram packed with young chaps with science degrees, on low wages, avoiding National Service as job gave them exemption.
BScs were rig minders but the young PhDs were the worst and people skills were non existent.
24 year old PhDs had, as you've said, lived in a pressure cooker environment. Many had been to Imperial College so had BSc, ACGI, PhD and DIC after their names.
I always recall one MSc asking me why a lathe couldn't work to tolerances that his electron microscope could measure.
Needless to say that when National Service ended there was a mass exit to better paid jobs.
Community Veteran

@DomS, good luck tomorrow with your interview. I hope it works out for you Smiley Smiley
Community Veteran

Thanks Smiley
Hopefully they will be what I want and vice versa. I'm not interested in job hopping and using a company to further my education so if they are a good company to work for, I'll complete my education and hopefully settle down there Smiley
Community Veteran

All the best for tomorrow !
Smiley
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

good luck
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Well the interview was today, I got my CV sorted, suit ready (and it still only just fitted) and then disaster struck.
For some unknown (still) reason I suddenly went deaf in one ear. All I can hear is a high pitched whine and ringing sounds when someone speaks to me. My balance has also gone a little.
Still managed to make it into the interview which seemed to go well. They seem a nice company to work for, good ethics and the staff I met seemed happy Smiley They manufacture some rather tasty high end gear and there would be plenty to keep me occupied.
Better still, they are looking for a long term investment in their apprentice(s) rather than using the scheme for cheap labour and turning round staff so certainly works well for me.
I've been asked back on Friday to do some aptitude tests and chat to the other engineers so quite looking forward to that Smiley Nothing is in the bag and I'm not counting my chickens but certainly a very positive start to getting back into the industry and gaining some decent qualifications Smiley
Community Veteran

Sounds positive that they have asked you back on Friday.
Not sure if there is any way you can prepare for aptitude tests.
Hope the hearing problem sorts it's self out.
Good luck for Friday
  Smiley
Community Veteran

Cheers Smiley My ear is quite worrying as I've not had anything like this before or any warning so will pop down the docs tomorrow if it persists.
Quite looking forward to getting back to college although it may mean attending some lectures with my Stepson.
Community Veteran

Maybe that's a bit of tinnitus. Hope your doctor can sort you out.
Well done today and further good luck for Friday Smiley Smiley