Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempted hack

warbleeder
Grafter

Attempted hack

I had a phone call to day froma company apprently working for microsoft
they told me i had a computer sending the erros.....
a problem for them is i only have 1 system with windows.....so i told them i have linux
they called me a liar... and wanted me to do such and such with my computer but they failed Smiley
anyways they go by the name of.... teechi 4 u
when they call its a private number but they gave me 0800 404 6964
and they told me their based in middle sex.... the guy i spoke to claimed he was a Computer engineer... shame he spoke to one and he couldnt answer simple engineer questions
I STRONGLY SUGEST NOBODY GIVES THESE GUYS ANY INFO AND DO NOT DO WHAT THEY ASK.... or you will have major problems
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Attempted hack

If anyone does fall for this, I have a large sum of money in a Nigerian bank account I need help to dispose of...
Cheesy
Community Veteran

They can use that money to buy this nice bridge I have for sale in London  Crazy
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

The fact that these scams continue suggests that there are still people out there getting caught out by them.
My dad got a similar call and he told them that he doesn't have a computer, they were quite persistant but he did get rid of them.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
mattturner
Grafter

Over the weekend I received a call from a company claiming that they were calling me to help me fix my computer, they told me that the companies name was "World Wide Web". They were very persistent and had plenty of answers to my questions (all of which they made up on the spot).
This is how the call went:
Me: "Hello"
Them: "Hello, I'm calling from the World Wide Web company, I'm calling about your Windows computer which has sent us a report showing errors, viruses, corrupted programs, 82 of your programs are corrupted"
Me: "Ah, ok"
Them: "Are you at your computer?"
Me: "No. When was this report filed?"
Them: "Your computer sends reports to us periodically with information about viruses, are you at your computer?"
Me: "No, when was this report filed, the date and time please"
Them: "Erm... This morning at 11:08"
Me: "My Windows computer wasn't on at that time this morning."
Them: "Sometimes there are delays on the internet, this report could have been from another time, this is the time we received it, are you at your computer?"
Me: "Ok, what time was the report created?"
Them: "This morning at 11:08"
Me: "No, what time was this reported created, when did my computer create it?"
Them: "erm... 7pm last night"
Me: "ok"
Them: "Are you at your computer"
Me: "Yes"
Them: "Do you see the start menu"
Me: "No, I don't have a start menu"
Them: "Ah, you have a Mac?"
Me: "No, I have Linux"
Them: "Ah, ok, do you have a Windows PC?"
Me: "Yes"
Them: "Ok, turn that one on"
Me: "Which one?"
Them: "The Windows PC"
Me: "I have more than one, which one"
Them: "Any one of them"
Me: "But which one did your report come from"
Them: "We don't know, the reports don't contain any personal information"
Me: "Then how do you know it was my computer that filed the report"
Them: "Because we looked you up in the directory and phoned you"
Me: "Yes, but if the reports contained no personal information then how do you know that the computer is mine and doesn't belong to someone else down the road"
Them "Because the report came through the UK Internet Server"
Me: "The UK Internet Server?"
Them: "Yes, the server that you use to access the internet in the UK"
Me: "That doesn't exist"
Them: "What do you mean it doesn't exist? How do you get to websites with .co.uk, like bbc.co.uk?"
Me: ".co.uk is a top level domain name, it has nothing to do with a UK Internet Server"
Lots of umming and erming, I think he got the idea that I wasn't going to play along and we said goodbye!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I had one of these calls yesterday.  After a while of playing dumb I "downloaded" the software they wanted to put on my (Linux) pc  and then came up with the "message"  that I didn't have authority to make the change. An administrator was needed to install the software ... hang aren't you people administrators? Why can't you do it? ...."
It cost them 25 minutes, 3 different experts ...
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Never had one of those calls yet. As soon as I hear "Are you the home owner or resident" or anything similar I say 3 words to them which cause them to disconnect:
TELEPHONE PREFERENCE SERVICE.
Oddly they don't like talking after hearing those - no idea why  Cheesy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just had one from 08452507271, they dont know what TPS is either
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Matt,  Why didn't you tell them that you work for BT/PlusNet, thay would have gon with in a millisecond of you saying that.  Wink
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Matt
Over the weekend I received a call from a company claiming that they were calling me to help me fix my computer, they told me that the companies name was "World Wide Web". They were very persistent and had plenty of answers to my questions (all of which they made up on the spot).
This is how the call went:
<snip>

Love it! Thanks for that Matt.  Smiley
Not young enough to know everything
mattturner
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
@Matt,  Why didn't you tell them that you work for BT/PlusNet, thay would have gon with in a millisecond of you saying that.   Wink

I'm intrigued by their techniques, I've used some of them with Plusnet customers myself actually! The windows and r key combination is the best, a foolproof way of getting a website loaded.
I'm also planning of setting up a virtual machine, screen capture software and wireshark... I'm sure their ISP wouldn't be happy about what their doing.