cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attack in France, Tunisia and Kuwait

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Re: Attack in France, Tunisia and Kuwait

ISIS is more of a movement or ideology though, rather than a well structured organisation.
With Al Qaeda, you had terrorist cells throughout the world who were directed and instructed to commit terrorist attacks from the top echelons of Al Qaeda. ISIS is very different though. These terrorist attacks in Tunisia, Kuwait and France were carried out by people sympathetic to the ISIS ideology, rather than being planned from the top of the organisation by individuals like Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
I haven't seen any UK government/security service/police officials state that ISIS are trying to infiltrate the UK, disguised as illegal immigrants. The situation in Calais has been on-going for the best part of 20 years now. It's been fuelled by conflicts around the world that have led to hundreds of thousands of people being displaced. In the 1990s, it started with the Kosovo conflict and the mass exodus of people fleeing that conflict and forming a camp in Sangatte.  Now, we have people from Ukraine/Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan etc. that are fleeing their native lands.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I mentioned this in another thread but I think it is also relevant here.
In London today there has been a major counter-terrorism exercise, Strong Tower, involving over 1000 Police. It was not in response to the Tunisia shootings as it had been planned for over 6 months but opportune nevertheless.
Counter terrorism Exercise
Good to know we are prepared for major incidents should they happen.
The exercise continues tomorrow.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

The Country will observe a one minute silence at noon today to remember the 30 UK citizens that were killed last Friday in Tunisia.
Highlighted
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

According to some reports "A minute's silence has been held across the UK to remember the 38 people - including 30 Britons - killed in the Tunisia beach attack a week ago." or "a nationwide minute of silence at noon on Friday in memory of those [of unspecified nationality] killed in the Tunisia attacks."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33382486
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nationwide-minute-of-silence-to-be-held-in-honour-of-...
Others reports refer to "Tunisia attack: Minute's silence in memory of 30 British victims"
e.g. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tunisia-attack-minutes-silence-memory-5993722
It is easy to forget the other eight victims as the news media only seem to mention them as the number left over after subtracting the Brits from the total deaths. The only non-Brit that I recall being mentioned was an Irish woman. Do you know the nationalities of other victims? I struggled to find that "In total, 38 holidaymakers died – including three Irish nationals, two Germans, one Belgian, one Russian and one Portuguese."  Of course British media will focus on Brits but it seems a poor decision to totally ignore the rest.
http://news.sky.com/story/1512499/silent-tribute-to-be-held-for-tunisia-victims
The complaint that non-Brits were ignored in BBC reports was one of the complaints raised by viewers in Newswatch. Newswatch then went on to ignore the complaint!
Highlighted
Community Veteran

It was I believe a National one minute's silence.
It was a very poignant occasion for the nation to pay its respects.
'Silence Seldom says so Much'.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

The Foreign Office has advised all British Nationals to leave Tunisia. They say a further attack is very likely.
Tunisia Advice